Ripe already here in Essex!

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Goonberry

Ripe already here in Essex!

Post by Goonberry » 22 Aug 2017, 01:17

I went out today for a look at my local Blackthorn hedgerows & to my surprise the Sloes are already ripe & ready for picking. Some have even fallen to the ground too!

Bumper crop this year, and this is by far the earliest I've ever seen them ripen. These particular hedgerows are facing south and are exposed to the sun all day, combined with this years varying hot and sometimes wet weather it clearly has been perfect conditions for the growth of the Sloes.
4lbs picked & not a green one in sight!

Goonberry

Phil

Re: Ripe already here in Essex!

Post by Phil » 22 Aug 2017, 08:45

Definitely early then. The earliest I've ever found ripe ones has been early Sept. Must check on mine in the woods.
Phil

Goonberry

Post by Goonberry » 22 Aug 2017, 17:24

Yep, definitely very early.

I did however today find some Blackthorn bushes holding fruit that was just on the turn, and still slightly green.
Then probably less than ten metres further along the same hedgerow the Sloes were ripe and dropping on the floor with not a green one in sight. Very odd?
I did notice the same with the Blackberries along the same hedgerow. Some areas were ripe, and then others were not. Maybe its down to slight variations in the soil type, moisture content in the ground, or exposure to the sun etc. Could even be slightly different varieties of bushes in the same hedgerow?

Either way, the Sloes I picked were definitely ripe ones.

Goonberry

Patrish

Post by Patrish » 22 Aug 2017, 20:36

Also ripe in Basingstoke. I picked nearly 3 lbs of sloes this afternoon mainly from one bush in the local park. Had to be careful when taking them off the bush as a lot of them were going mouldy. These were nice big fruits but nearby were black fruits about half the size. I'm hoping that these will eventually grow bigger then I can get some more to put in the freezer. Last year I didn't see any fruit at all, so hope I can get enough for next year, just in case!

swann1e

Post by swann1e » 12 Sep 2017, 20:53

New to the whole sloe biz but going to pick my first lot soon. I keep being told that October is picking season but seen loads of what feel like ripe sloes here in Warwickshire. Should i assume that the season is early and get picking before they all go over?

Phil

Post by Phil » 12 Sep 2017, 21:08

They do vary depending on weather and sun. I'll be picking mine in my wood within the next week I think.
Phil

lyndonmojo

Post by lyndonmojo » 31 Oct 2017, 20:48

I picked mine in north Dorset last week and I have never seen such a bumper crop of soft ripe sloes.