Sloe Ketchup / sauce??

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Galloway Gal
Location: The Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland

Sloe Ketchup / sauce??

Post by Galloway Gal » 22 Nov 2007, 13:30

Has anybody tried making, or got a recipe for, a pourable sauce using sloes?

I harvested such a pile of sloes last weekend that as well as sloe gin and sloe cheese I also experimented with a bottle of sloe sauce. It still looks OK after a week, but then I have been keeping it in the fridge.

What I did, just for info, was to cook some sloes up in the rayburn, liquidise and seive them and then mix them with a little ground allspice, some sugar and some wine vinegar. I don't know the quantities - I just mixed it until it tasted OK and poured reasonably well - like tomato ketchup.

I didn't cook everything up together, just mixed it at the end while everything was still hot. Do you think this will effect it's keeping qualities?

Since it looks and tastes good (currently, that is!) I'd like to make some more.

Any info anybody has would therefore be very much appreciated.....

Ta everso muchley,

Galloway Gal

Galloway Gal

Re: Sloe Ketchup / sauce??

Post by Galloway Gal » 05 Sep 2008, 13:08

Since I am in the process of just starting to peer at the bushes around my way waiting for the sloes (and elderberries and brambles) to start producing, I thought I'd proffer a pre-season update on the sloe sauce / ketchup I made last year, while I wait for Scotland to catch up with the rest of the UK.

I was worried that it wouldn't keep. I needn't have been. It has kept like a dream and still tastes fruity and fine. Admittedly it has been living in the fridge which is probably how come there is still some left - if it had been in the cupboard with the pickles I'm sure it would have disappeared long since.

Anyhow, it works and it keeps. Just so you know....

Galloway Girl

Galloway Gal

Post by Galloway Gal » 28 Sep 2015, 00:01

Feedback time, again folks...

I recently found a very well matured bottle of this ketchup lurking way back in one of my cupboards and YEARS after I made it (see previous posts) it is STILL good - in fact I'd go so far as to say very nicely matured and just perfect for slopping over just about everything.

It's well fruity, dark and very well rounded. And clearly it keeps - although it won't last for long now that I have found it!

BJGraham

Post by BJGraham » 06 Sep 2017, 15:29

Have you please got a recipe that you would be willing to share? I am looking for something a bit different to do with sloes.
Thank you