is this cheating?

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

niftynige

is this cheating?

Post by niftynige » 18 Oct 2004, 21:27

I have sucesfully made summer fruits gin using frozen bags from the supermarket, its certainly very moreish and a gallon will soon be ready. cant wait!!!!

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 19 Oct 2004, 00:32

I'm sure it isn't cheating to use frozen fresh supermarket summer fruits ... but maybe using tinned fruit would be a step too far!

Have you any recipe tips/observations for the rest of us?
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

niftynige

Post by niftynige » 25 Oct 2004, 21:37

not got any tips sorry! but i have found this site invaluble as refrence guide. i will say the summer fruits doesnt seem to need as long as the sloes 2 mths is drinkable but i'm trying to hold out for 3,heres hoping!. I used 1lb of fruit same of sugar in a gallon sweet jar topped up with gin

katebak

Post by katebak » 15 Mar 2008, 09:55

Blackthorn wrote:I'm sure it isn't cheating to use frozen fresh supermarket summer fruits ... but maybe using tinned fruit would be a step too far!

Have you any recipe tips/observations for the rest of us?
Not cheating at all .... only the best fruits are used for tinned fruit, and they are tinned almost as soon as they are picked. They are probably the best ones to use, and no need to add as much sugar, as they are already in syrup. Check out the book Winemaking with canned and dried fruit by C J J Berry. :wink: