lemon gin

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

frosty

lemon gin

Post by frosty » 26 Apr 2011, 13:44

I have a receipe for lemon gin does any one else have any tips

OBG

Re: lemon gin

Post by OBG » 07 Jun 2011, 20:44

Hi,

My recipe;

700ml gin
zest of three lemons
juice of one
300g sugar
Left for three months

Then just prior to bottling I added a tablespoon of cider vinegar.
Filtered through coffee filter.

My first effort and I am very pleased with the results.

If anyone can add anything to the recipe, just let us know....

OBG

frosty

Post by frosty » 22 Aug 2011, 13:01

Thanks I wasn't sure whether to use the zest part or juice part i used both in the end I will let you know how thinks went on......t

Plonker_Chris

Post by Plonker_Chris » 29 Aug 2011, 18:05

I have a recipe for Limoncello which I haven't had the chance to try yet (as it seems to require some degree of patience) - but I'm happy to share it with you.
15-20 Blemish free lemons
2 bottles of strong Vodka/Gin/Grappa
2-3 cups of water
2-4 cups of sugar

1. wash and dry the lemons
2. peel the outer zest from the lemons ( avoiding the white pith as this makes the resulting drink bitter )
3, put the peels into a glass jar or demi-john with the alcoholic drink of choice and seal tightly.
4. leave in a cool / dark place for 2-3 months (told you)
5. using a ratio of 1:1 sugar and water - slowly heat into a syrup and leave to cool.
6. pour the cooled syrup into the lemon/alcohol and re-seal
7. leave for a further 2 weeks (see)
8. strain the limoncello through a coffee flter and bottle up
9. leave for a further week or two before drinking (aargh)

If you make it - let me know if it was worth the effort !

nidgelowe

Post by nidgelowe » 22 Nov 2011, 14:19

'limoncello'
just found this in asda magazine and made on saturday
6 unwaxed lemons
litre vodka
500g caster sugar

peel lemons no pith
disolve sugar in 300ml water to boiling then add rind and simmer 15 mins.add all the lemon juice from peeled lemons bring back to boil and simmer 5 minutes.
leave to cool then put the whole mix with vodka bottle leave 2 weeks shake daily,strain/filter,
then its ready serve chilled,
nice and quick let you know what it tastes like,already smell great.
Last edited by nidgelowe on 24 Nov 2011, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

frosty

Post by frosty » 24 Nov 2011, 12:55

Thanks, I did mine in may, one with rind and one with juice, they both seem alight what i intend to do is combine them and then add sugar, but i will try your recipe

nidgelowe

Post by nidgelowe » 05 Dec 2011, 09:43

bottled limoncello at the weekend,chilled for a few hours,wow,sensational drink and ready in 2 weeks,definately going to make more for presents.

frosty

Post by frosty » 06 Dec 2011, 11:54

Did mine at the end of last month

spammeplease

Post by spammeplease » 06 Jan 2012, 12:19

I'm going to have a go at the Limoncello, having tried some commercial stuff at an Italian restaurant recently (see below). I have to say that the 500g of sugar in Nidgelowe's recipe seemed like a lot to me, but some other recipes on t'interweb have even more. I'm not in any hurry, as I'm off the booze for a while - probably until Easter - so I will have time to adjust the mix if necessary and I can do a sort of hybrid technique as I'm not too sure about boiling the rind.

I can't remember the brand of Limoncello, but it was 28% abv and served straight out of the freezer. When I expressed interest the proprietor's son was wheeled out, as he makes his own, using Italian neutral alcohol as the base. I'd guess that this would be around the 50% abv, but I am going to have to use vodka at only 40%. He also uses the steeping of the rinds technique and said that too much juice makes the product bitter. I can see another 10 years of borderline obsessive behaviour coming along. :roll:

spammeplease

Post by spammeplease » 03 Sep 2012, 13:49

And the result is..... the Winner in our local country fair! I was chuffed to bits with that, as the sloe gin only got a 2nd (in a much more competitive class, though). I thought I had mucked it up when I used golden caster sugar, which turned it honey coloured, but the taste was great, with just a hint of bitterness. For the next lot I'll be even more careful to not get any white pith in with the skin, as I now understand that it can make it bitter.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » 04 Sep 2012, 22:37

Great result dude. Congrats from the capital of Wales (Cardiff) ;)