Blackberry Sloe Gin ?

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Romnerd

Blackberry Sloe Gin ?

Post by Romnerd » 12 Sep 2004, 15:46

Hello everyone, great forum !

Someone mentioned to me that tey made some Sloe Gin with blackberries too. Presumable in addition to the sloes.... ?

Can anyone confirm if this is nice ? OR if you have a recepie or guidelines of amounts ?

Thanks

R :D

Ginnie

Re: Blackberry Sloe Gin ?

Post by Ginnie » 13 Sep 2004, 16:57

Romnerd wrote:Someone mentioned to me that tey made some Sloe Gin with blackberries too. Presumable in addition to the sloes.... ?
Keep it simple! There is no harm in experimenting, or following good established recipe variations ... but if in doubt: keep it simple!

Is a handfull of blackberries added to the sloes really going to make a better drink? We like 'straight' sloe gin here at sloe.biz , and if you haven't tried this yet yourself Romnerd, then try the simple, pure sloe gin version first.
"Keep it simple!"

Carcaroth

Post by Carcaroth » 13 Sep 2004, 17:07

I am reliably informed that Blackberry Gin is rather nice.
I'm always willing to experiment, but in this case I would suggest the sensible thing is to make a bottle of each, and when complete in a couple of months, try mixing a small quantity of each in a glass to see if they work together. You can then serve them up individually or combined as the feeling suits!

Romnerd

Post by Romnerd » 13 Sep 2004, 19:28

Thanks for your comments Ginnie,
It appears Sloe.biz only promotes "straight" sloe Gin which is a shame. Surely a little variation here and there cant harm and in fact might offer a tasty alternative to an already lovely "tipple".

The smell of the added blackberry was something to remember.
I for one will definately try it in addition to the original.

I think Carcaroth has the right idea, make both and mix a little.

If anyone else has any first hand experience of both of these fruits together please let me know.
Kind regards
R 8)

Ginnie

Post by Ginnie » 13 Sep 2004, 22:28

Romnerd wrote:Surely a little variation here and there cant harm and in fact might offer a tasty alternative to an already lovely "tipple" ... I think Carcaroth has the right idea, make both and mix a little ...
Actually I completely agree with you and hope good alternative recipies will be exchanged and discussed on sloe.biz for everyones benefit.
If anyone else has any first hand experience of both of these fruits together please let me know.
Yes - Please let us all know :)
"Keep it simple!"

Romnerd

Post by Romnerd » 09 Nov 2004, 21:09

Thank you Ginnie.

A little update for anyone interested :

Octobers batch of sloes is well underway (as is the tasting !!!)
The batch consists of
Sloe Gin.
Sloe Vodka.
Blackberry Vodka.
Blackberry Brandy.

I like the Sloe gin and Blackberry Brandy the best. However they are all still very young !
I will be mixing a few so will let you all know the results !

I have just finished picking 4Kg of really ripe sloes and will be making around 4 litres in two demijohns over the coming months for all my family :wink:

Will kee you posted

R

theory900

Post by theory900 » 10 Nov 2004, 11:54

So do you make the blackberry gin exactly the same way as sloe gin?

I've got quite a bit of sloe gin gently infusing at the moment, but I've also got a couple of bottles of raspberry vodka on the go.

Looking for recipes on the internet, those for raspberry vodka involve pouring vodka over the raspberries, agitate for 3 weeks then remove the raspberries and then add the sugar.

Raspberries and blackberries are pretty similar, so I would imagine they are treated the same?

Romnerd

Post by Romnerd » 12 Nov 2004, 13:45

Follow the same guideline for Blackerry Brandy as for Sloe Gin.

Cheers

SloeWolf

Post by SloeWolf » 25 Sep 2008, 17:53

i made sloe gin last year for the first time and into a demijohn i must have put about a kilo of sloes and i added a cgood couple of handfulls of blackberries and a vanilla pod(deseeded) and the result was most excellent the flavours work together very well and i really do recommended the addition of vanilla

sloecrow

Post by sloecrow » 03 Oct 2008, 15:21

Yeah earlier this year I had some left over plums and was wondering what to do so I horsed em into a half bottle of gin, added some pears and left if for the usual.Had some spare rhubarb and put it in a seperate bottle and wow it was tasty.Made a tart out of the rhubarb when it was finished yum yum. :)

Anyway the plums got lonely and so I added some pears...oh did I mention this became a couple of bottles....amazing that it suddenly gets a mind of its own.
So eventually after quaffing some of the plum and pear i found it a bit tropical and bitty so I filtered the remaining bottle...oh did I mention I drank the other "spare" bottles...slipped my mind.Aaanyway I decided to add some blackberrys to see if that might give it a lift.whew
Its not easy all this experimenting let ye know what happens next to the plum pear and blackberry mix in next weeks exciting episode. :D

"...never underestimate the power of the sloe.."

sloecrow

Post by sloecrow » 31 Oct 2008, 09:44

:cry: Really bad news my girlfriend decided to take over the shaking duties a few weeks ago.....guess which bottle hit the kitchen floor....so I guess we will never know....there always next year though :D