other fruits

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

peter1

other fruits

Post by peter1 » 03 Sep 2010, 20:47

this is my first time on this site, and, having made a drink of almost everything i pick, from berries, leaves, tree bark and roots. and having read some of your posts, i cant believe that there is no mention of my favourite and most gorgeous tasting additive that i have used.
i can appreciate that some of you are not lucky enough to live in the sort of area where this fruit grows, but i'm sure you are not that far away from such an area.
i live in north wales, and, two minutes from my back door is moorland. it is covered at this time of year with what we call whinberries. you might know them as blaeberries, bilberries, whortleberries or blueberries. along side them grows cranberries and cowberries, or red whortleberries. i have seen mention of cranberries on this site, so if you have picked cranberries you have certainly seen whinberries.
all the fruits that i have mentioned are the most beautiful additive to gin, brandy and my favourite, whinberry vodka. please look these up and go pick some. the method used for whinberry vodka is the same as for sloe gin
i would be interested to read your reactions.
peter

Galloway Gal
Location: The Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland

Re: other fruits

Post by Galloway Gal » 28 Sep 2015, 00:28

I agree - bilberries (as I know them) work well.

A year or two ago a friend and I went Bilberry hunting in the woods at Dalbeattie (SW Scotland). The bug*ering things were the teeniest, tiniest, fiddliest things to harvest and after hours up there we had just enough for a bottle of booze each That's ONE 70cl bottle INCLUDING the fruits and the sugar. (*)

Not deterred by the paltry amount we had, we did the usual, fruit, gin, sugar combo and then waited.

As you'd expect the booze went purple, although not as quickly as sloes do, and eventually we had ourselves a nice, gentle fruity wee drink. It was a "softer" flavour than sloes which, IMHO, have more of an acidic kick but they still made for a very worthwhile and slightly unusual drink.

Galloway Gal

(*) I have since learned that you can buy a combed berry collecting gizmo which you sweep thru the bushes, collecting the fruit as you go. I guess if you actually had fruit on the bushes, that this would be worth a try. It's that or a very sore back.