Chilli vodka

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Kay Dekker

Chilli vodka

Post by Kay Dekker » 20 Oct 2009, 17:07

I'm a bit surprised not to have found anyone else here mentioning that chilli vodka is very good and easy to make. I grow my own chillies - I bought one dwarf Apache chilli plant (smallish red chilis, fairly mild) years ago from a local gardening suppliers, and my friends and I have been kept in chillies ever since because it has self-seeded so profusely!

A Polish friend told me that chilli vodka is very popular in Poland, so I thought I might as well give it a try. It's worked very well.

Just take a few - how many depends on your chilli tolerance, of course - chillies, and carefully remove the seeds and the membranes. This gets rid of a lot of the heat, but keeps the flavour. Cut the chillies into strips, and infuse as you would any other fruit. It's best drunk ice-cold.

Now what I want to do is to get hold of some bison grass (Hierochloe odorata) seed to grow so I can make my own Żubrówka! :D

penguinbrau

Re: Chilli vodka

Post by penguinbrau » 23 Oct 2009, 16:37

Back when I was a student, I made some chilli vodka. It turned out horribly fierce - painful to drink unless you took tiny sips. We would give drinks to friends without telling them what it was - the surprised look was priceless. Also surprisingly, I'm still friends with some of them :P

Kay Dekker

Post by Kay Dekker » 23 Oct 2009, 20:38

penguinbrau wrote:Back when I was a student, I made some chilli vodka. It turned out horribly fierce - painful to drink unless you took tiny sips. We would give drinks to friends without telling them what it was - the surprised look was priceless. Also surprisingly, I'm still friends with some of them :P
Heh!

My first attempt at chilli vodka was, unsurprisingly in hindsight, a little too heavy on the chilli; it also had cinnamon bark in as well (which actually is a good addition to a spicy vodka). I took a flask of it as a "Winter Warmer" to the Gothic Weekend at Whitby, where it came in very useful in those tiny sips when queueing for ages outside venues in subzero temperatures.

My friend Dave H. wanted to try it. He was warned, several times, and quite firmly: "*Little sips*, Dave!"

Dave, of course, decided that only wussies sipped drinks and promptly necked a large mouthful.

For the next twenty minutes, I think we had the only steam-driven Dave in history :)

DoItSloely

Post by DoItSloely » 01 Sep 2010, 21:47

You should try the combination chili-honey, it also is a popular drink in Ukraine and Poland (and probably more countries in the slavic atmosphere)