Rhubarb Vodka (schanpps)

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

pickle

Rhubarb Vodka (schanpps)

Post by pickle » 27 Sep 2009, 12:49

A bit late in the year for this now, but worked very well over the summer.

Recipe here: http://www.pickleandpreserve.co.uk/inde ... b-schnapps

Blog post with pictures here: http://www.pickleandpreserve.co.uk/inde ... napps.html

Makes a lovely drink which is good by itself or mixed with sparkling wine.

SloeWolf

Re: Rhubarb Vodka (schanpps)

Post by SloeWolf » 10 May 2010, 20:46

I have to decided to try this this year as i have just started a rhubarb wine and this seems equally appealling.
My Recipe is: 2 lb Rhubarb
1/2 lb Sugar
1 litre Vodka

I have been tempted to try and add some ginger to it for a bit of a kick, anyone tried that before ?
and nows the right time of year to get on with the rhubarb its just come into season

pickle

Post by pickle » 11 May 2010, 22:16

Hi Sloewolf

I've just started this years jars off under the stairs.
I've added some ginger to one as well this year, about 50g of fresh ginger (sliced thinly) to 1kg rhubarb, 1 l of vodka & 300g of sugar.
Blog post here: http://www.pickleandpreserve.co.uk/inde ... napps.html

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, it'll be interesting to see if it needs more ginger.

SloeWolf

Post by SloeWolf » 12 May 2010, 08:40

hi pickle,
excellent i was unsure of the addition of fresh ginger into this, you can normally get away with putting a fair amount of ginger in without it being too strong. i shall do this in the next couple of weeks as my rhubarb plants get big enough, i seem to have about 50 odd stems over three plants. i have just started a rhubarb wine(which i had to buy the rhubarb,£6.50 for just over 2 kilos). That rhubarb jam recipe looks fantatsic aswell,i will definetly be giving this a go too.

pickle

Post by pickle » 14 May 2010, 09:55

I'll give the ginger and rhubarb schnapps a taste after about 4 weeks and see how strong the ginger is. I'm planning on adding some more if need be.

Tonyginlash

Post by Tonyginlash » 05 Oct 2010, 16:08

I tried making AWThompson's version and to be honest it's one of the most unpleasant concoctions I've ever made.

For those wanting to risk it, he suggests using:

1 litre vodka
2 sticks of rhubarb, cut into inch lenghts and bashed to a pulp with a mortar and pestle
the zest of half a lemon
1 cinnamon stick
3 tablesppons of white sugar

Put everthing into a storage jar for three weeks, keep in a dark cupboard, then strain back into the original bottle after 3 weeks.

Mine is now six months old and I've replaced the little I sampled with more vodka, which has inproved the taste, but I'm still unconvinced - maybe I just need to find the right mixer? :wink:

pickle

Post by pickle » 06 Oct 2010, 20:11

Hi Tony

3 weeks doesn't seem like very long, I wonder if a longer wait would be worth it?
I can see the thinking behind the lemon and cinnamon, sort of a rhubarb crumble taste. I would be tempted to add some more sugar to see if that makes it more palatable!

I've sampled the rhubarb and ginger mentioned earlier, and to be honest it's very difficult to taste the ginger, I'll try putting in a lot more next time, maybe as much as 500g.
This site here http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/ginger.html has a recipe for ginger schnapps and uses several roots. Maybe I'll just try making the ginger schnapps and mixing it with the rhubarb.

Tonyginlash

Post by Tonyginlash » 10 Oct 2010, 10:16

Hi Pickle,

Thanks for your reply and yes, I'd agree with you 100%, both on the time factor and the sugar content. I'll give it another try next spring when the rhubarb is young.
Having learned from that experience, I've made some pear vodka - this time using 12 ounces of sugar. I used 12 pears cut into four and almost 2 litres of Standard Russian Vodka. I'll leave that until Janury before filtering - hopefully that one might be easier on the palate ;-)

Life in the Sloe lane

Post by Life in the Sloe lane » 12 Jan 2011, 01:00

I used a Nigella Lawson recipe for Rhubarb Schnapps and the result was ...UGH!

Tonyginlash

Post by Tonyginlash » 12 Jan 2011, 08:46

Well, since October I let my 'mixture' mature after adding a wee bottle of glycerine (sweetens and smoothens) and I now find an improvement in taste, so much so that when served over ice and topped with cola in a tall glass it's not bad at all. I will try making another batch this year and combine many of the tips listed in all your replies, not least of all the adding of a goodly amount of fresh ginger. Thanks folks :-)
On a more positive note, I made some bramble brandy last September - using similar quantities of ingredients as used for bramble whisky, but simply changing the spirit - am well pleased with the result and by Christmas 2011 it should have matured really well.