Elberberry gin - would cooking them first be good?

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Galloway Gal
Location: The Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland

Elberberry gin - would cooking them first be good?

Post by Galloway Gal » 05 Oct 2008, 11:44

Having just worked my way through the string hanging off the posting about Elderberries, I note that using raw elderberries to flavour gin doesn't seem to work. Yes, it comes out with a good colour but it doesn't seem to taste very nice.

This makes me think about all the other sites I have been to recently looking for elderberry recipes, all of which say that if you're gonna use them, use them cooked.

Having tentatively tried a raw elderberry once I think they taste like ink (how on Earth do I know what THAT tastes like?!?).......... so my question is this - would slow cooking some elderberries first, perhaps in a little sugar, work as a base for some elderberry gin? If nothing else I think it might be quite quick to make because the cooking would help break the berries down a bit first, wouldn't it?

Any comments and feedback most welcome! And the sooner the better, would be good too, before the birdies get all the Elberberries I have my eyes on, damn them!!

Thanks,

Galloway Gal

Harry Flashman

Re: Elberberry gin - would cooking them first be good?

Post by Harry Flashman » 07 Oct 2008, 00:06

Hi Galloway gal

Just made some Elderberry Gin this evening but didnt slow cook them. I could only find one recipe for Elderberry gin and that one didn't say anything about cooking them. I'll have to wait and see what it tastes like at christmas.

:wink:

All the best

HF

Sloe Hunter

Post by Sloe Hunter » 05 Oct 2009, 20:27

Uncooked elderberries can cause gastronomic distress, i.e. an evening lent over a bucket!

Don't let that prevent you from wonderfully purple harvests: just a friendly warning!

katebak

Post by katebak » 02 Sep 2010, 22:44

I made elderberry gin once,only once though..... not impressed at all. :(

OBG

Post by OBG » 07 Jun 2011, 20:53

As it elderflower time and ther are recipes galore for champagne and cordial.

Any thoughts about elderflower (flower) gin?

OBG