Cranberry Vodka

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

dr-white

Cranberry Vodka

Post by dr-white » 03 Nov 2007, 13:53

I have just made some cranberry vodka (cheap vodka, cranberries and sugar). We will just have to see what it turns out like!!!

Berjangles

Cranberry Vodka recipe

Post by Berjangles » 21 Nov 2007, 18:36

I'm interested to know what recipe you used for the Cranberry vodka, as I'd like to try my own.

dr-white

Post by dr-white » 22 Nov 2007, 09:20

It's exactly the same as the sloe gin recipe, except you substitute vodka for gin and cranberries for sloes (see front page for recipe http://sloe.biz/). Instead of pricking the cranberries I chopped the fruit in half.

I made mine for the first time about a month ago and I am pleased with its progress; it now has an awesome deep red colour and the taste is developing nicely.

FYI Tesco currently have fresh cranberries at half price!

dr-white

Post by dr-white » 20 Jan 2008, 12:17

Are we allowed to swear in the forum???

I have tried one of my bottles of cranberry vodka that I made with VODKAT (http://www.vodkats.com/) that I bought in ASDA. I just wanted to let you all know that VODKAT is a dirty scam - it's only 22%!!! Here was me thinking that I was buying cheap vodka (the bottle labelling certainly gives the impression of it being a vodka), but it's a "vodka blend spirit mix". The lower alcohol content doesn't bring as much flavour out of the berries.

I was very p***ed off!!! Luckily I also made a batch with some premium vodka that I had, so all is not lost.

Goonberry

Re: Cranberry Vodka

Post by Goonberry » 24 Sep 2008, 06:56

I found this recipie for Cranberry Gin on another site, but I personally havent tried it yet. It certainly sounds pretty good though!

100g fresh cranberries
1 orange
100g caster sugar
250ml gin

Prick cranberries all over with a needle (sounds tedious!) Peel 2 long strips of orange peel from the orange. Place the peel and sugar in a large, clean, sterilised jar or bottle - you will need one with an airtight lid - and mix well. Add the gin, but don't fill right to the top to allow for the cranberries to give off some juice (guess that means you have to drink the rest of it!) Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then stir in the cranberries. Cover the jar and leave in a cool, dark place for up to 1 month (like it's going to last that long), shaking every few days so that the berries release their colour. This can be drunk after 1 week but the longer it is left the better. Serve as an after-dinner liqueur.

SloeWolf

Post by SloeWolf » 25 Sep 2008, 17:59

i have heard this is very good so will be hoping i can pick some cranberries up at the supermarket and give this a go :D

dr-white

Post by dr-white » 25 Sep 2008, 20:47

Mine turned out very well. However, I would suggest that you leave the cranberries in for as long as possible (at least 3 months). I left mine in for 6 months and the result was a refreshing drink with a lovely deep red colour!

Wendy

Post by Wendy » 29 Dec 2009, 20:49

I made mine for the first time this year, and it was brilliant, I as with my Sloe Gin used the bag out of a wine box to do the brew, and that means you can keep squishing (for want of a better word) the fruit in the alcohol so that the colours and flavours mix quicker, meaning you can get excellent results within one to two months :)

Turned the fruit into Cranberry sauce on Xmas Day, took 10 mins, added about 150g of cranberries out of the wine bag to 100g of sugar, juice of small orange and some cranberry vodka, heated on high heat for about 10 mins, till the sauce went sticky and jammy and the vodka had burned off, then put in jar ready for the table.

Happy new Year everyone :D

katebak

Re:

Post by katebak » 04 Sep 2010, 21:08

dr-white wrote:Are we allowed to swear in the forum???

I have tried one of my bottles of cranberry vodka that I made with VODKAT (http://www.vodkats.com/) that I bought in ASDA. I just wanted to let you all know that VODKAT is a dirty scam - it's only 22%!!! Here was me thinking that I was buying cheap vodka (the bottle labelling certainly gives the impression of it being a vodka), but it's a "vodka blend spirit mix". The lower alcohol content doesn't bring as much flavour out of the berries.

I was very p***ed off!!! Luckily I also made a batch with some premium vodka that I had, so all is not lost.

Always use the best quality spirit - its a myth that you can use the cheap ones.

dr-white

Post by dr-white » 04 Sep 2010, 21:52

I don't think that is strictly true. For example, I can't taste any difference when using cheap gin or expensive gin when making sloe gin. I think it is more to do with the alcohol content, which is the main catalyst in getting the flavour out of the fruit.

peter1

Post by peter1 » 04 Sep 2010, 23:22

the best spirit compliment the best fruit, bit pricey sometimes, but its worth the effort. where do you pick the cranberries. see my post on other fruits.
peter

dr-white

Post by dr-white » 05 Sep 2010, 07:11

Tesco!!!

peter1

Post by peter1 » 05 Sep 2010, 13:03

well, i'm sure the cranberries from tesco are very good. but there is nothing like the freshness and sweetness of berries picked from the plant. they are more common than you think. there are lots of cranberries and blueberris where i live, and they are in season now, and it is a good year. fresh fruit, means exactly that, freshly picked. once picked, within an hour, the natural sugars start to turn into useless carbohydrates, and after a couple of days on the supermarket shelf, they are a far cry from the fresh fruit. which in brewing terms is quite a loss. I would be glad to show anybody where to pick them.

dr-white

Post by dr-white » 05 Sep 2010, 15:02

I don't doubt it for a second! However, convenience wins sometimes.

katebak

Post by katebak » 05 Sep 2010, 23:50

dr-white wrote:I don't think that is strictly true. For example, I can't taste any difference when using cheap gin or expensive gin when making sloe gin. I think it is more to do with the alcohol content, which is the main catalyst in getting the flavour out of the fruit.

exactly!! and the higher the alcohol content, the better quality the spirit... but believe me, there is heck of a difference between cheap gin and the better quality gin.