Quinces - the tiny ones, not the large fruit

What other fruit do you bottle? Exchange recipe ideas here (No sloes or damsons here please)

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

DodieH

Post by DodieH » 17 Sep 2006, 20:36

:?:

I was wondering, does anyone know where I could get hold of some quince (not the large fruit, but the ones which are slightly smaller than a golf ball)? They are lovely if you put them in a bowl and let them rot: it takes a few weeks, they just go wrinkly, then brown, and give off the most delicious scent.

Any ideas?

TillyBoo

Post by TillyBoo » 17 Sep 2006, 21:50

Really?

Dont they smell gross if theyre rotting???????

DodieH

Post by DodieH » 17 Sep 2006, 22:11

Really, it is nice - I'm probably describing it wrongly if I say rotting (or perhaps mis-selling the idea, at least, as it does
sound unattractive) - maybe over-ripening is a better way of putting it.

Sloe White

Post by Sloe White » 17 Sep 2006, 23:41

I think what you're describing is called 'bletting', which is when fruit has gone past ripe and has begun to decay a bit. That's when its full flavour appears. Same for medlars.

My father loved quinces and I remember as a young girl, it was always a treat when he sliced up bletted quince from the garden, for dessert after a Sunday roast. He served it up with a variety of cheeses and biscuits. Delicious! We also had a medlar tree back then, now they were my mother's favourite although I didn't particularly care for them then, but I did love my mother's medlar preserve.

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 18 Sep 2006, 21:49

There are a couple of quince trees near me...and no-one ever picks up the fruit which falls on the verge...but now I'll be down there to get some and experience this 'smell' for myself :D

Galloway Gal
Location: The Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland

Post by Galloway Gal » 23 Nov 2007, 14:17

I think what you mean, DodieH, when you talk about SMALL quinces the size of golf-balls are the fruits of a garden shrub called a Japonica. (Chaenomeles in Latin). My gardening book says they are also known as Japanese Quince or Cydonia.

We used to have a very pretty pink on in the garden when I was a kid (they come in red, white, coral, pink etc) growing against a wall. They grow about 4-6ft high, flower in May and fruit in the autumn. The fruits start off like bloomin' rocks, but leave them a while and they turn wonderful, with the most heavenly smell. I don't think you can eat them raw, but they do make a very superior jelly.

Haven't tried anything alcoholic with them tho, more's the pity...

Hope this helps - even if it is just a little while since you first posed the question!!!!

Galloway Gal

DodieH

Post by DodieH » 23 Nov 2007, 18:25

Thank you, I bought a Chaemonmeles (? sorry, when writing the reply I can't see your spelling!) years ago, it's only ever made about one flower, which was white, I think I must have planted it in the wrong place, and it never fruited. Do you think I need two in order for them to cross fertilise?

Deadslowandstop, good for you, I do hope it works for you, I really love the smell and it does scent a room beautifully.

Sorry not to have posted sooner, I haven't been watching this forum for ages...

Galloway Gal
Location: The Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland

Post by Galloway Gal » 26 Nov 2007, 13:30

DodieH,

I don't remember my parents having a second bush for cross-pollination. A friend recently decided to make a jar (ONE!) of jelly from her fruit and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a second bush either.

My books don't say anything about this either. Maybe it might be worth moving it somewhere else - maybe the site isn't right?

Alternatively, it might be worth experimenting to see what it makes of a big pile of manure - maybe these un-spellable things are like tomatoes - they'll fruit without feeding but do EVERSO much better with some?

Can't hurt to try, methinks.

Galloway Gal.

dr-white

Post by dr-white » 28 Nov 2007, 08:03

I know there are some quince trees in the New Forest in Hampshire - my father always made quince jelly when I was a child. I think they might be out of season by now (I think October is probably the best time).

Here are a few interesting websites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quince
http://www.quinceproducts.co.uk/
http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l ... 578461.ece

Liz MacG

Japonica bushes not growing well

Post by Liz MacG » 19 Mar 2008, 18:25

Hi, Just new to this site so been browsing and saw the question re how to get japonica to grow well. Check your soil. For this bush to grow properly you need to have alkiline soil not acidic.
Liz MacG

Sloe Hunter

Re: Quinces - the tiny ones, not the large fruit

Post by Sloe Hunter » 05 Oct 2009, 20:31

I would kill to get my hands on some large quinces for jelly and jam making but can't find any anywhere. I've searched all over the internet but to no avail so if so could help me out i would be eternally gratefully.