Damson Rum

Post your recipes and tips for damson gin here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

s2rab

Damson Rum

Post by s2rab » 31 Oct 2009, 19:02

I have for the first time tried to make Damson Rum as I found some lovely damsons on the way to work last month, I have used the same quantities that I use in my sloe gin recipe in one batch and added a couple of cinamon sticks in the other for that extra christmas feel. One thing I have noticed on some of the other messages posted is that they find that some other friuts come out too sweet, first tastes confirm this, but very good. Has anyone ever tried using Rum before with sloe's before and how did it end up.

shamrock

Re: Damson Rum

Post by shamrock » 06 Oct 2010, 13:53

When you say rum I presume you mean white rum, ie Bacardi? Yes I've made Damson and Sloe Bacardi following the same method for both using a demi john. Demi Johns are ideal when using damsons because the wide mouth means the larger damson fits in easier. My most successful batch was last year using this recipe:

1. 2 x 1.5 lt bottles of supermarket white rum
2. 500gm sugar
3. Ripe but firm damsons (keep stuffing them in the demijohn until the rum reaches the neck of the demi john)

Slap a cork bung in the top and upend the demijohn regularly for the first couple of weeks and thereafter periodically. I keep mine in the garage so every time I enter I do the business then. Rather than prick the damsons I slice them with a Stanley knife blade and the colouring starts immediately. Not essential to do that but worth a thought. Also, after I've strained and bottled the rum I add a teaspoon or so of almond extract to one or two of the bottles. If you don't overdo it's a great variation.

s2rab

Re: Damson Rum

Post by s2rab » 18 Dec 2010, 16:30

Well a year on and I can confirm that the Damson rum was lovely. This year not only have I Damson Rum, Damson whiskey, Damson Gin and a mix of Damson and Sloe gin with a couple if sticks of cinnamon, yum, and I shall try the Almond essence trick as that sounds intresting. As it is already mid December I am ready to start my second batch during the christmas break, CHIN CHIN and a happy Christmas to all you Sloe people.