Hello....please help.

Post your recipes and tips for damson gin here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Arjuna54

Hello....please help.

Post by Arjuna54 » 14 Sep 2008, 16:54

Hello,

I am a made-at-home liquer enthusiast. I have been wanting to try to make sloe or Damson liquer for some time now but living in Halifax, Canada makes it hard to find sloes (or any retailer whom even knows what sloes are). The other day completley by mistake I ran into a large amount of Damson plums and so I am now ready to begin......

I have several problems however,

My method of liquer making does not lend itself to following any sort of recipe, I do love the feeling of "Experimenting" (and I have made some very good concotions before) but I want to use my damsons right, and so I would like at best a rough guideline.

The reason I find it hard to follow any sort of recipe is that I make my own base alcohol in my house. I use 8kg of sugar and 25 litres of water plus super yeast and yeast nutrient (I should add that in Canada this is totally legal) This, once heavily vacum filtered, turns into 25 litres of 22% abv flavourless (or close enogh) alcohol base which I then flavour with fruit or spice. Ideally I would like to use my huge carboy in which I made the alcohol base as a container to flavour it in, putting my massive amount of Damsons in and adding however much sugar should be used for 25 litres worth of liquer. The obvious problems are how much sugar would make 25 litres? How much damsons should I use? And it doesnt help that when I bought the damsons the scale was broken, or labeled wroung, or I am too dumb to read it properly, so now I have an unknown amount of damsons in my freezer(I am trying to weigh them, give it time). I could also just use a 1 litre mason jar and do it in mini batches but I would prefer en masse.

any ideas?

Arjuna54

Re: Hello....please help.

Post by Arjuna54 » 04 Oct 2008, 21:09

I have made the decision to use the full 23 litres at once. I will fill the carboy to near half way with pricked Damson's and then fill/cover with 20% clear alcohol witch is brewing as I write this. Then I will add 2 kg of table sugar (one bag full). I may find that I want to adjust this recipe after my initial batch is made but that will have to wait till next summer, when Damsons are in season again.