Damson Gin Recipe

Post your recipes and tips for damson gin here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Daveg

Damson Gin Recipe

Post by Daveg » 02 Sep 2006, 18:24

The Mother in Law :evil: at Christmas gets out her Damson Gin and as usual it disappears straight after the first glass, tight bugger!
So this year i'm making my own. Just put the first batch in the cupboard so i thought i'd share the recipe.
She calls it her 3-2-1 recipe, 3lb of Damsons (pricked obviously), 2 of sugar and a pint of Gin. I got some cheap Aldi Gin so i used a 70cl bottle instead of a pint. Shake daily for a couple of weeks till sugar is fully dissolved and leave for 3 months, strain and bottle.
God only knows what she does with the damsons after but i'll be quoffing them with some ice cream!
I also chucked a pound of damsons into a bottle of brandy with 4oz of sugar to see what that turns out like.
Next on the agenda is Sloe Gin but as most people advise, i'm holding out till October. I just hope nobody gets there before i do!!!!
Isn't the tinternet a wonderful place, a website for Sloe Gin lovers, who'd have guessed?

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 03 Sep 2006, 09:44

Hello Daveg,

Thanks for sharing your Damson Gin recipe... :D

Not sure where in the country you are, but some of the sloes down here are almost ready now...and I reckon it'll only be another 10-14 days before the rest are ripe for the plucking!!

Keep and eye on the sloes so you don't miss out.

I'll be given your Damson Brandy suggestion a whirl...so thanks for that too.

Cheers,

Daveg

Post by Daveg » 03 Sep 2006, 12:38

Hi,
Thanx for the reply deadsloeandstop. The Damson Brandy recipe's on this site somewhere, anything that can improve brandy is good in my view, not being a lover of the spirit myself.

I'm in Suffolk and i've found myself a quater mile stretch of hedgerow just hanging with Elderberries, Sloes and Blackberries. I've already got 4 gallons of wine on plus the Damson gin & Brandy and i'm off to take the dog for a walk this afternoon to test the ripeness of the sloes :wink: . All in all a very merry Christmas will be had :D !

Daveg

Post by Daveg » 07 Dec 2006, 21:24

Just sampled my first bottle of damson gin and it's wonderful!!!
The sloe gin is nice but next year i'll add more sugar i think. I used the recipe from this site.
The 3-2-1 damson gin recipe makes a lovely sweet liquer that's very moreish. I made damson brandy and blackberry and elderberry brandy using the damson brandy recipe off the site but all need more sugar for my taste. It'll be very hard to save it all for the crimble festivities!

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 08 Dec 2006, 20:43

Daveg wrote:The sloe gin is nice but next year i'll add more sugar i think. I used the recipe from this site.
If it's not sweet enough for you...add a little sugar syrup to taste...that's what I do if I have a sour-ish batch :D

ikuo1

Post by ikuo1 » 11 Jan 2007, 23:31

Good tip, I was a bit eager this been my first time, I didnt wait. I was thinking of adding some sugar to sweeten my batch now that it is done to try and quell some of the bitter sour taste, I dont why I just didnt wait a bit longer to pick mine it was a massive harvest, there was a wealth of sloes all along the cliff tops as far as you cared to wander. Overall though I am pleased. Its not bad, I wouldnt give it out hehe but next time I ll wait to the sloes are fully ripened. this my second glass is nicer, my 1st being half gin, half whisky, certainly very almondy.

ikuo1

Post by ikuo1 » 10 May 2007, 19:38

I just need to say I left it mostly another two weeks after this post and it was a lot sweeter and yummier and a lot nice on its own without whisky