Damsons in the S East?

Post your recipes and tips for damson gin here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Adrian

Damsons in the S East?

Post by Adrian » 04 Nov 2005, 08:01

Dear All, Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find damsons in the south east of England? Have made lots of sloe gin this year and would like to try making some damson gin next season.

deadsloeandstop

Getting hold of damsons

Post by deadsloeandstop » 04 Nov 2005, 09:45

Hello,

Where abouts in the south-east are you?

There is a farm near me, in Sevenoaks (Kent), which does PYO damsons around September time. Also, I have seen them in Waitrose in Tonbridge...but I think it may be a little late for them now.

If you are anywhere near me (Tunbridge Wells), let me know and I'll find out the name of the Sevenoaks farm.

Regards,

Adrian

Post by Adrian » 04 Nov 2005, 12:25

Great stuff. I'm near Croydon (Shirley) - which is not far at all from Seven Oaks.

deadsloeandstop

Damsons & Pick Your Own (PYO)

Post by deadsloeandstop » 04 Nov 2005, 13:19

Hello Adrian,

Damsons can be picked from Allens Organic Farm near Sevenoaks. They are actually quite famous in food circles, having featured in Rick Stein's programme...hence I discovered them. They even have their own website...which is handy...

www.allensfarm.co.uk

If anyone else is interested in PYO or Farmer's Markets (instead of passing their money to Tesco, etc) this is a good website...

www.farmshopping.com

Regards,

Adrian

Post by Adrian » 04 Nov 2005, 15:23

Thanks! Much obliged.

I went sloe picking in Hampshire this year... to a place I found out about on the net (bridle ways near Bradley). Quite a way out from Croydon though. Are there good spots down near Sevenoaks?

A

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 04 Nov 2005, 20:52

Hello Adrian,

I haven't picked sloes around Sevenoaks becuase I have so many just a few minutes walk from me...just on the outskirts of Tunbridge Wells.

The best thing to do is go for a country drive when the blossoms are out early next year. If you google the term 'blackthorn blossom' you will find loads of pictures to help you identify them. I'm sure there are masses in the Surrey area! An when in blossom the bushes REALLY stand out...you can literally see them for miles.

If you don't find any next year, leave a message on this board around September time and I'll point you in the direction of some around Tunbridge Wells...there really is plenty for everyone.

Regards,

Adrian

Post by Adrian » 12 Jun 2006, 10:32

Hi There,

I'd quite like to do a reccie down near Tunbridge Wells for sloe bushes at some point. Could you pass on that place you mentioned last year?

Hope you're still enjoying last year's brews!

Best,
Adrian

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 20 Jun 2006, 16:13

Hello,

There are a number of places to look out...

(a) Near junction of Bunny Lane and Eridge Road,
(b) High Rocks Road
(c) Behind XXXXXXXXXX, off Eridge Road (Edit Note: Oops, private land :roll: )
(d) In the minor roads around Smarts Hill (Spotted Dog Pub), which is nearer Tonbridge, actually!

Regards,
Last edited by deadsloeandstop on 20 Aug 2006, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » 23 Jun 2006, 14:40

Thanks, shall check that out :)

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 23 Jun 2006, 22:42

The bushes behind XXXXXXXXXX (Edit Note: See original post above) are the ones that have been severely cut back by the farmer...so may not produce much fruit this year... :roll: (see main section of forum).