Damson jelly

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

jollygreengiant

Damson jelly

Post by jollygreengiant » 27 Nov 2010, 10:52

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right section for this posting, or whether anyone has raised this topic before, butI need to pick some brains!
After I bottled my damson gin this year I decided to see if I could make damson jelly with the gin-soaked damsons. The idea was to make something that would go well with venison and other game type meats.
I simmered the damsons in some water, with a few chopped apples and the juice of one orange. I strained this mixture overnight through a muslin, and the following day added some sugar with pectin to the liquid and boiled it. However it wouldn't set and I wonder whether alcohol reduces the effect of pectin to prevent setting.
Has anyone else ever tried this with success or otherwise, and does anyone have any advice, particularly with regard to the effect of alcohol on pectin?

jgg

GroovyDuck

Re: Damson jelly

Post by GroovyDuck » 08 Dec 2010, 20:39

Not entirely sure, but pectin precipitates out in alcohol (becomes a solid) and it is part of the process of producing pectin.
However, the heat used to make jam should drive off the alcohol.
It sounds more likely that either the jam didn't reach 'jamming' temperature (investing in a sugar thermometer is well worthwhile, it can take quite a while to get up to the right temperature for a jam 'set') or all the damson goodness already went into the gin! ;-)