Sloes

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

ellam52

Sloes

Post by ellam52 » 15 Oct 2010, 13:26

I am a complete newcomer to using sloes. I have lived for 35 years here and didn't know that they grew in abundance within half a mile! I had seen the flowers in March time and always wondered what they were. So today I have been and picked my first batch and divided them into 1lb batches and put them in the freezer until I find suitable containers to "brew" the gin in.

Also what is the best way of sterilizing containters?

:?

Ellam52

Gick

Re: Sloes

Post by Gick » 26 Oct 2010, 22:51

Provided that the containers are glass and have been washed thoroughly with soapy water, rinsed and drained, no further sterilization is needed as the alcohol in the gin will kill all the bacteria.

sloelovely

Re: Sloes

Post by sloelovely » 01 Sep 2011, 18:09

I am new to sloe gin too (this will be my 2nd year!) but I also like to make other preserves such as jams and chutneys. I make my sloe gin in 1l kilner jars and sterilise these the same way I would for jam-making: preheat the oven to 140C, wash the jars in warm soapy water, rinse, drain, then place on their sides in the oven. After ten minutes they are done - for jam you usually fill the jar while it is still warm, but I don't want to risk spoiling my sloe gin so I remove the jars from the oven and allow them to cool completely before filling. The rubber sealing rings I boil for 5 minutes.

Gick is right that as long as the container is basically clean and dry, there shouldn't be a problem, as the container should be almost completely filled with alcohol - however I noticed elsewhere on this site that someone had mould growth around the 'watermark' of their sloe gin - I would think that problems can still arise in this gap between the alcohol and the seal, as they can in jam-making. So, to be on the safe side, and being a novice, I think it can't hurt to sterilise the container.