Sloejacks (Flapjacks)

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Goonberry

Sloejacks (Flapjacks)

Post by Goonberry » 18 Sep 2007, 00:45

I found this recepie on the web for a flapjack which uses the sloes after you have used them in your Gin.
Dont know if its any good, but it sounds yummy scrummy.....I like Sloe Gin & Flapjack, so I will give it a go.

Ingredients
Use organic if available - complain if not!

Half the leftover sloes, i.e. the contents of one bottle (approx. 300g drained weight) after making sloe gin
125g porridge oats
100g unsalted butter (if using salted butter, omit the next item)
¼ tsp salt
75g sugar

Method
Shake the sloes from the bottle into a large bowl, and tip the oats into another. Using a paring knife, shave the flesh from each fruit directly into the oats (avoid the temptation to remove it all in one long piece, as that would make the flapjacks break apart too easily). It will take a while, but you've already proved you have the necessary patience by making the liqueur! Stir the mixture every so often to disperse the parings evenly.

Preheat the oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4. Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the sugar and salt, then (off the heat) the sloe and oat mixture. Tip into a lightly greased, shallow, 20 cm square baking tin, level out and press down firmly all over with a potato masher. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave in the tin until cold. Slice into 16 squares, or as the whim takes you.