Steamed Sloe Pudding

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

TillyBoo

Steamed Sloe Pudding

Post by TillyBoo » 13 Nov 2006, 13:26

Ive just been watching Great Food Live on UKTV food and they had an email from a lady that had an abundace of sloes in her freezer and wanted to know if she could do anything else with them.

The chef Martin Blunos cooked a fabby looking Steamed Sloe pudding. Recipe as follows.... :) :)

Ingredients
200g Sloes
1 tbsp blackberry jam
175g unsalted butter
150g soft light brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp sloe gin
235g self-raising flour
pinch Salt
caster sugar, to taste
sweetened whipped cream, to serve

Method
1. Pick over and wash the sloes, then place in a pan and just cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently on the stove until the sloes break down and become pulpy.

2. Drain and rub through a sieve into a clean pan. Discard the stones, reheat the sloes and sweeten to taste with caster sugar. Leave to cool.

3. Butter a 2-litre pudding basin and place a disc of baking parchment in the bottom. Mix 2 heaped tablespoons of the sloes with the blackberry jam. Spoon the mixture into the base of the basin and smooth up the sides a little.

4. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, then add the gin. Sieve the flour and salt together and fold into the butter and egg mixture. The mixture should be of a dropping consistency: if it’s a little dry mix in a little milk to slacken it.

5. Spoon on top of the jam in the basin and level off with a spatula. Cover with a disc of buttered parchment, then with pleated foil and steam for 1½ - 2 hours.

6. When cooked, turn onto a serving plate and leave to stand for a few minutes before unmoulding. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.

Think I might be making that - would be lovely as an alternative to Christmas Pudding!

meeow

Post by meeow » 14 Nov 2006, 14:13

:D oh mi goodness !!

tillyboo i love you :D

thats sounds to die for !! gonna use the left over sloes from the gin in that pud im thinkin.
Well after drinking my gin, spending the morning eating sloe-gin truffles ......then having that insetad of christmas pud,......i might not see leftover chipolata and stuffing ball time later that evenin ! hehe

thanks you :D
<blinks>

TillyBoo

Post by TillyBoo » 14 Nov 2006, 14:22

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That really made me giggle and Im glad to be of service :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It sounds like its going to be fun in your house on Christmas Morning!!!!!

jarrick

Re: Steamed Sloe Pudding

Post by jarrick » 01 Nov 2010, 18:37

only mix two heaped tablespoons of sloes? that doesn't sound like much to me - what are you supposed to do with the rest?