Sloe Cordial

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

fifi

Sloe Cordial

Post by fifi » 21 Oct 2006, 16:57

As my cupboard is full of sloe gin and vodka but there are still sloes on the trees, I though I'd have a go at Sloe Cordial - It's just done and it tastes pretty good. :lol:

I am going to freeze it in ice cube bags (did the same with elderberry cordial) and bring it out as needed - either for a hot toddy or - the best - mixed into Apple and blackberry crumble - yum yum!!
Here's the recipe I used:

1 kg Sloes
1 litre water
Juice of 1 lemon

Bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes then mash with a potato masher - don't worry about the stones as it will be sieved.

Simmer for another 10 minutes then sieve.

Back in the saucepan, measure 80g of sugar (I used half caster and half demerara) to each 100 ml liquid

Bring back to the boil and simmer for another 10 minutes. Cool and either bottle in sterilised bottles or freeze.

To drink, add 10 parts water to one part cordial. Also good in champagne I reckon - will have to try it out!

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 23 Oct 2006, 19:45

Oh...that sounds nice :D

THere are still a few left so I may go and pick some tomorrow and give this a whirl.

Thanks for sharing :D

Cheers...