Sloes can be used to make jam and jelly

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

oldFAQs

Sloes can be used to make jam and jelly

Post by oldFAQs » 14 Mar 2004, 19:40

I have just read your notes on sloe gin and want to challenge your statement that sloes are completely useless except to make sloe gin.

Sloes make possibly the best fruit jelly [as in apple jelly] there is, and sloe paste or cheese [as in quince paste] is superb. I also understand that the leaves and bark are used medicinally in South-east Europe.
Regards,
Howard Nicholson and Trisha Arbib, NSW, Australia, Sep 03
Last edited by oldFAQs on 20 Mar 2004, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
All oldFAQs posts are based on questions on the old sloe.biz site during 2003.
See the original writer's name/date at the end of their question.

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 14 Mar 2004, 22:00

Thanks for your correction! My 'completely useless' tagline was added on a personal hunch rather than any serious research or experience, and was deliberately provocative!

I'll be happy to add your useful notes to the Forum - but only in the fervent hope I am not asked for any detailed alternative jelly and paste recipes myself!

I'll modify the tagline now you've corrected me!
With thanks, Brian
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 04 Apr 2006, 18:29

There's a farmer at Tunbridge Wells Farmer's Market who sells Sloe Gin and Sloe Gin jam...although I've made my own gin I didn't make jam (I made chutney instead)...Anyway, the jam is fantastic :D

Juicyfruit

Post by Juicyfruit » 20 Sep 2006, 22:32

Old FAQs, I would like to try your recipe for jelly as I have loads of sloes left after ginning 2 litres! I have frozen them, will that be ok? Also what is the yield like if I use the 4lb sloes and 2lb apples? How many pots do I have to save?

shinobi

Post by shinobi » 21 Sep 2006, 00:27

deadsloeandstop wrote:There's a farmer at Tunbridge Wells Farmer's Market who sells Sloe Gin and Sloe Gin jam...
Was it this farm?http://www.stonelinkfarm.co.uk
I met them at a farmers market and she was very open with her "secret" recipe! I just wish I could remember it!! However, I've noticed that they're not selling the jam on their site, just at the markets?

Martin

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 21 Sep 2006, 08:22

Yes, that's them :D

It's call 'Organic Sloe Gin Preserve' and the ingredients are listed as:

Sloes 50%
Sugar 50%
and that's all!

So I guess they just bung the 2 things in a pot and boil :?

Cheers,

Sloe far, sloe good

Sloe Gin Preserve

Post by Sloe far, sloe good » 25 Sep 2007, 08:34

This recipe sounds great. However if you add a small quantity of apples you get a greater volume, excellent flavour and more naturally occuring pectin. I hope that my integrity is similarly preserved ? :wink:
Purple Prince.
The artist formerly known as the Purple Helmet.

shinobi

Post by shinobi » 25 Sep 2007, 12:09

What are the best type of apples to use? Eaters, cookers or crab?

I only ask as there are a couple of wild eaters near me and I don't want to have to buy apples unnecessarily :) My usual crab supplies are severely lacking this year as well. :(

Shinobi

Sloe far, sloe good

Sloe preserve

Post by Sloe far, sloe good » 25 Sep 2007, 12:29

I have only ever used cookers, but I imagine that whatever you have available would probably do the trick. :wink:
Purple Prince.
The artist formerly known as the Purple Helmet.

sloeveryproud

Post by sloeveryproud » 12 Oct 2007, 20:20

I'm new to the world of sloes but made sloe jelly this afternoon from a Marguerite Pattern recipie, it is divine cannot emphasise enough how glorious it is. I was expecting a tart jelly along the lines of redcurrant or crab apple but, no, it's sweet and lush and delish. I'm out to get some more sloes tomorrow to make another batch. :D

mikey

Post by mikey » 27 Oct 2007, 18:23

sloeveryproud, i don't suppose you care to share that recipe do you? I've had a Google and couldn't find anything :(

I only recently bought a jar from a shop in Hawkshead, it has the ingredients on the jar but i'd like to have a go at making my own as it's superb ... we had it with our roast dinner just like red currant jelly!

thanks in advance.

PS. The link to a recipe in an olFAQs thread http://www.sloe.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43 is dead

sloeveryproud

Post by sloeveryproud » 05 Nov 2007, 12:59

Marguerite's recipe suggests 900g apples to 100g sloes but I upped the sloe content to 300g and 700g apples. I used some tart wild apples that were growing near the sloes.

Roughly chop the apples and put them in a pan with the sloes and 3/4 pint water. Simmer til they go pulpy and strain through a jelly bag. I re-boiled the pulp and did a second straining. Measure the juice and add 1lb suger per pint, boil til setting point is reached then jar up in the usual way.

Hope yours is as nice as mine was :D

sloeveryproud

Post by sloeveryproud » 05 Nov 2007, 15:27

I should also add that Ive recently discovered that I've been gathering purple bullace rather than sloes so my jelly may have been sweeter than a pure sloe jelly.

shinobi

Post by shinobi » 06 Nov 2007, 01:21

Nice!
I think i've got enough sloe gin for this year. (It's always good to overlap your seasons though!) so I think i'll top up my jam/jelly. Only got 3 jars left already. :shock:

Shinobi

shinobi

Post by shinobi » 06 Nov 2007, 01:28

mikey wrote:PS. The link to a recipe in an olFAQs thread http://www.sloe.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43 is dead
Seems to work for me. :? Could've been temporary? Here's the recipe incase you can't see it anymore;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have looked at your website with great interest and wondered if you knew that you could also make jam from sloes.

It is a wonderful tangy jelly jam that again Shares it wonderful colours with the sloe gin.

All you need is:
900g (2lb) Sloes
1.8kg (4lb) Cooking apples
Juice and peel of one Lemon
Sugar

Wash and drain the sloes and prick them. Put them In a pan with the lemon juice, peel and just enough water to cover. Simmer until pulpy.

Wash and chop the apples, then simmer in a Separate pan, with water to cover - again until soft and pulpy.

Strain the two pulps through scalded jelly bags or fine muslin hung overnight over bowls to catch the juice - do not squeeze the bags, which will result in cloudy jelly.

Mix and then measure the juices, bring to the boil, add sugar at the rate of 450g to 570ml (1lb to 1 pint) and stir until dissolved. Boil until setting point is reached. Remove any scum, using a heated stainless-steel spoon.
then you can bottle it, and store it.

This is a wonderful recipe, words can't describe how delicious it is.
I hope you will try the recipe. enjoy.
M.J.M from Essex, 16 Oct 03