Sloes can be used to make jam and jelly

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 10 Nov 2007, 08:16

mikey wrote:PS. The link to a recipe in an olFAQs thread http://www.sloe.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43 is dead
The link on the site still works fine, but mikey's link above seems to have been copied and saved from some time ago. Substitute pip for forum in the link above and it will work again.

The directory 'forum' was renamed 'pip' to help frustrate spammers' robots which search for forums to invade!
Here is the updated link:
viewtopic.php?t=43
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

mikey

Post by mikey » 03 Dec 2007, 09:05

Thanks for clearing that one up, and thanks for the working link/recipe ... got a batch to make for Christmas day! (How I actually missed the sticky thread at the top is beyond me! :oops: :lol: )

Out of interest the link I copied and pasted is from this thread viewtopic.php?t=66.

Thanks again.

Mikey

sallynat

Post by sallynat » 08 Dec 2007, 17:16

Hi do you think that this would work using the sloes after they have been in gin or will the gin effect the jam setting process?
thanks
sallynat (also essex)

VJJ

Re: Sloes can be used to make jam and jelly

Post by VJJ » 25 Nov 2011, 14:24

I have just used the sloes taken from this year's first bottle of gin to try the recipe shown a few posts above. The jelly seems to be every bit as good as the original contributor says.
I have never before tried to make jam or jelly (or very much else for that matter) but the recipe worked very well. I don't have scalded jelly bags (whatever they may be) or fine muslin so I just sieved the pulps and let the liquid stand for a day to let the worst of the solids settle. The result was still a cloudy liquid but I went ahead anyway and, strangely, the jelly itself is perfectly clear.
One hint - use a very large saucepan for the final stage in making the jelly or it will boil over.