Sloe Gin Ice Cream

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

frosty the sloeman

Sloe Gin Ice Cream

Post by frosty the sloeman » 13 Jan 2006, 08:51

Someone must have tried to make sloe gin ice cream. I would be grateful for any recipes/tips. My thoughts wereto make a conventional custard-based vanilla ice cream, but substituting sloe gin for all or some of the milk which is mixed with the cold custard prior to freezing. Proportions would be a matter of guesswork, unless anyone's been there before. I know alcohol will reduce the stiffness of the mixture so it would have to be used with caution or it would never harden up.

Or maybe a sorbet?

SloeRanger

Post by SloeRanger » 13 Jan 2006, 13:20

Hey Frosty, loving the username! Its good to see people jumping on the cheesy login ID bandwagon! :lol:

Someone had mentioned ice-cream on here I think, its a case of trawling though the posts - which isnt a bad idea in itself as there are lots of hints and tips.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas/opinions on sloe ice cream.

matt palmer

frozen slos

Post by matt palmer » 09 Mar 2006, 11:50

can you help me to find frozen sloe or damson if it possble

frosty the sloeman

Post by frosty the sloeman » 09 Mar 2006, 23:49

Should be easy.

a] Wait till autumn
b] pick some sloes
c] freeze them

More seriously, why do you want frozen sloes? If for ice cream, the ones you had left over from sloe gin making should be ideal. Otherwise, this is essentially a seasonal occupation, and for once patience is the only tactic I can think of.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 10 Mar 2006, 19:18

I have to admit I have never made icecream but was wondering, would it be possible to swirl some sloe gin into icream? I think it would be much nicer than raspberry ripple .... sloegin ripple, I would be very willing to act as a 'taster' :lol:
Elizabeth

SloeRanger

Post by SloeRanger » 03 May 2006, 15:30

You might be onto a good thing there Elizabeth. Perhaps pop the left over sloes from the gin into a blender and make the raspberry ripple effect that way...

mmmmmm

Daveg

Post by Daveg » 03 Sep 2006, 21:36

Alcohol doesn't freeze, just goes slushy. Perhaps a boozy sorbet could be interesting to follow a fish course during a meal etc.