sloe chutney

Post recipes and methods here for jams and preserves made with sloes. This section is non-alcoholic.

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

grace

sloe chutney

Post by grace » 24 Sep 2005, 11:37

Does anyone have any good recipes for sloe chutney, either for fresh sloes or ginny ones?

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 27 Sep 2005, 20:45

Hello......I asked the same question just the other day......and the advice I rec'd was to corrupt one of the Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall chutney recipes, which can be found at rivercottage.net, however, I also found this on the internet.....

Sloe Chutney

Sloes
2 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 medium sized onions, sliced
1lb raisins
1 teaspoon of hot chilli powder
2 inch piece of fresh root ginger, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
12 cloves
juice and grated rind of 2 oranges
1lb of soft brown sugar
1 pint of organic white wine vinegar

Put the ingredients in a large cooking pot and stir, using a wooden spoon. Bring to the boil and stir occasionally. Reduce the heat so the mixture simmers, stir occasionally, for 3 hours or until it is thick. Ladel into clean, warm jars. Cover, label and leave in a cool place for a couple of months.

It's a bit annoying that quantities aren't specific...but may that's deliberate.

Have Fun,

D-J....a.k.a. DeadSloeandStop

grace

sloe chutney

Post by grace » 12 Oct 2005, 01:38

That recipe seems to be everywhere, but has anyone actually tried it? What bothers me is that there's no mention of getting rid of the stones ... I've made damson chutney before and stewed them gently then sieved out the stones before adding the damsons to the mix.

shinobi

Post by shinobi » 12 Oct 2005, 05:15

I've made quite a bit of sloe jam and I've found that an olive stoner does the job very well

Martin

grace

sloe chutney

Post by grace » 12 Oct 2005, 17:52

Ah yes, I've got one of those somewhere .... Mind you, I was planning to use the ginny sloes if I can find a good recipe! Failing that, we'll have to experiment.

SloeRanger

Post by SloeRanger » 25 Oct 2005, 13:00

I made a batch of sloe chutney at the weekend, following the recipie posted here.

With regards to the amount of sloes, I weighed the gross weight of the apples (before peeling and chopping) and matched the sloes to that, which was around ¾lb. For the record I used Granny Smith apples. For a more tart chutney I would suggest adding 1lb of sloes to match the weight of the raisins.

I simply removed the stones with a cherry stoner, thanking the inventor of such a fine impliment with every berry!

While it wont be fully ready until around Christmas, the initial taste was delicious and will go well with boxing day dinners methinks. Yum!

deadsloeandstop

Gin-soaked sloes or fresh?

Post by deadsloeandstop » 25 Oct 2005, 14:11

Hello SloeRanger,

Thanks for having a go at the recipe and sharing the results. After I have used my gin-soaked to flavour cider, I will be making chutney from them.

Just one question then.......Did you use alcoholic sloes or fresh sloes for your chutney making?

Regards,

SloeRanger

Post by SloeRanger » 26 Oct 2005, 17:22

hi there

I used fresh sloes... im saving the ones from my sloe gin to make chocolate truffles :) Im famous for my chocolate truffles, ill post the recipie up when ive worked out a nice one to use with sloes.

nubnuts

Post by nubnuts » 02 Dec 2005, 11:56

Any news on the sloe gin truffles? I'm intrigued!

SloeRanger

Post by SloeRanger » 02 Dec 2005, 12:06

im about to decant my sloe gin one weekend coming up soon and ill make the truffles then, - watch this space!

completley off topic, but does anyone else think they should insert more weekends into the working week?!

SloeRanger

Post by SloeRanger » 23 Dec 2005, 16:33

Hi all

Finally made the sloe truffles, and I have posted the recepie under the 'Sloe Gin Chocolates' forum.

Tasted the sloe chutney last night with some cheese and biscuits. It was delicious and would go really well with cold meats and mashed potato too.

Did anyone else make the chutney?...

Sloeranger :)

Juicyfruit

Post by Juicyfruit » 28 Sep 2006, 21:13

I have made the sloe chutney with raw sloes (not ginned) but i didnt like the thought of the stones in the finished product so I simmered the sloes in the vinegar, then when soft sieved the pulp and picked out the stones with a little spoon. I then added the other fruit and onions etc. and simmered till done. The final result was very tasty and pipless.

SloeRanger

Post by SloeRanger » 28 Sep 2006, 23:20

Im glad you tried the chutney!

I didnt like the idea of stones in either, youll see i recomended a cherry stoner to take the stones out before making the chutney... :)

almost time to go picking again, sloes are already out in kent! just the race between the first frost and the birds!

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 29 Sep 2006, 07:35

SloeRanger wrote:almost time to go picking again, sloes are already out in kent! just the race between the first frost and the birds!
They're almost finished here for this year...either picked or eaten :shock: ...and last year our 1st frost was Dec :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: