First timer! Are these bits normal?!

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

markosg

First timer! Are these bits normal?!

Post by markosg » 27 Oct 2015, 10:09

hi there,

i've just started my first ever batch of sloe gin and i'm worried i've done something wrong as i've got some white pulp/skin or however you would describe it!

see below image

i followed the jamie oliver recipe of half filling a kilner jar with what i could tell were ripe sloes (these were frozen overnight from the previous day's picking and split nicely), adding sugar, the gin and then sealing the jar. it's been stored in a dry, cool and dark room for 2 days and this white pulp has appeared and is floating about in the jar like an unpleasant snow globe!

is this pulp normal? to me it looks like the flesh of the fruit coming out from the splits where they were frozen, but my concern is either mould or some sort of bacteria.

any ideas would be most helpful, i don't really want to waste all that gin on my first batch!

Phil

Re: First timer! Are these bits normal?!

Post by Phil » 27 Oct 2015, 21:35

Doesn't look quite right to me.....

Are you certain it's not just undissolved sugar?
Phil

markosg

Post by markosg » 28 Oct 2015, 09:49

Phil wrote:Doesn't look quite right to me.....

Are you certain it's not just undissolved sugar?
no, definitely not sugar... looks like bits of skin floating about!

markosg

Post by markosg » 29 Oct 2015, 09:15

UPDATE!!!

curiosity got the better of me last night and i decided to scoop out a bit of the floating stuff... turns out it's jelly!

so, is THIS normal?!

SWLondoner

Post by SWLondoner » 29 Oct 2015, 15:36

I've had the odd bit of jelly (though not as much as in your pic). The sloe gin is fine. I assume it's just the pectin from the stone.

markosg

Post by markosg » 30 Oct 2015, 10:57

SWLondoner wrote:I've had the odd bit of jelly (though not as much as in your pic). The sloe gin is fine. I assume it's just the pectin from the stone.
ok thanks, the more i read about it this jelly thing i see it's quite normal and apparently some people even have it spread on toast... not sure i'll be doing that though!!!

it's more of a sediment now, sitting on top of the sloes in the jar and i'll be filtering it before final storage so fingers crossed it'll be ok!

i did wonder about whether it was because we used sloes from about 3 different bushes in the same jar?