Advice

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

cs01tmdm

Advice

Post by cs01tmdm » 31 Oct 2013, 14:16

Hey all,

I am new to this forum, but also new to making sloe gin so some advice would be appreciated.

I have fancied making sloe gin for a number of years now but this year I am finally getting round to it. The main reason why I am trying it this year is I want to 'give' a bottle to my sixth month old daughter this Christmas to have and open for her 18th Christmas. From some research, I don't think I will have any problem with the recipe but I did want some advice on whether a) it will keep that long b) how long it might keep and c) if it will keep, is there anything I can/should do to extend it's life.

I appreciate that I am maybe a little too close to Christmas now to be doing this but I am planning on making quite a bit and if I don't end up bottling it until the New Year then it won't be the end of the world.

Many thanks
Tim

SWLondoner

Re: Advice

Post by SWLondoner » 04 Nov 2013, 13:33

Properly sealed and kept in a cool dark place I can't see it being a problem.

Much as I love Sloe Gin, I think if it was me I'd be more grateful for a decent bottle of wine or port kept for 18 years!

cs01tmdm

Post by cs01tmdm » 04 Nov 2013, 14:33

Thanks for the advice.

I may well do a port as well but I like the idea of sloe gin as it is home made.

sadie

Post by sadie » 06 Nov 2013, 19:37

Make two. Or even three. You'll be glad of it.

I once drank most of a ten-year old bottle of sloe gin (before realising how precious it was). It was mighty fine.