Cloudy sloe gin

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Hellycat7

Cloudy sloe gin

Post by Hellycat7 » 31 Oct 2013, 13:19

Hi I made a lot of sloe gin about two weeks ago. I froze the sloes for the first time this year - I usually pick them, prick them and use them fresh. I have noticed today that my batch all seems to some degree cloudy with a lot of sediment - one lot even has a floating grub in it! Some of the sloes also appear to have a mouldy glaze to them. do you think it will all be ok? There's too much gin involved for it all to go to waste! I haven't had this happen before - however I haven't used frozen sloes before. Do I need to take any action now - or will it be ok once its strained? Any advice please :?

SWLondoner

Re: Cloudy sloe gin

Post by SWLondoner » 04 Nov 2013, 13:37

I wouldn't worry - see how it looks in a month or so. It should settle. Once strained it should be fine.

RE: the grub. I had that one year. me and a mate drunkenly ate half each (little Caterpillar) like tequila. We didn't die.

steamerduck

Re: Cloudy sloe gin

Post by steamerduck » 11 Nov 2013, 11:57

Yes, that happens to me too (and I also opt for freezing my sloes before making it).

When it comes to decanting, I strain through a muslin and it comes out as clear as you like.

No need to panic!