First time I have made sloe gin and advice needed please!

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

big machine

First time I have made sloe gin and advice needed please!

Post by big machine » 18 Oct 2012, 12:24

After tasting Sloe gin for the first time last Xmas and reading about it on here I decided to give it a go. In the absence of any sloes where I live (c. London) I decided to order from ebay.

Sloes were frozen by sender but defrosted in post over night. I made the sloe gin using the recipe from this forum. Unfortunately, as the sloes had been defrosted, it appeared that many of them had "burst" or cracked and juice escaped somewhat. I persevered and completed my batch. This was one week ago and I have continued to shake the mix accordingly. The colour of the gin is that of pale/weak blackcurrant squash. Not the deep rich red I expected.

I am now worried that because of the defrosting and the sloe's cracking that much of the juice was lost and hence is not in the gin, giving this pale red colour. Can anyone advise on whether this is the case or whether the distinctive colour comes with time irrespective of the defrosting issue?

Also, the s.gin appears to have a low viscosity (thin), not the thick viscosity I associate with s.gin as a sugary/sticky liquor drink. Is this something that comes with time or do i need to add sugar again?

Thank

nidgelowe

Re: First time I have made sloe gin and advice needed please

Post by nidgelowe » 18 Oct 2012, 12:42

after a week i would expect the colour to be as you describe sounds fine to me,just agitate it daily and the colour will deepen
as the flavour is extracted,as for thickness that will all depend on how much sugar you added,i've not thought before about what time
in the process the gin becomes syrupy,mine still seems quite thin but always develops thicker,sounds like yuo'll be ok.

SWLondoner

Post by SWLondoner » 18 Oct 2012, 15:57

All sounds perfectly fine. It takes a while for the colour and thickness to change - thats why you leave for steeping for months :)

There will be lots of sloes in Central London - just got to get out and about and find them!

big machine

Post by big machine » 18 Oct 2012, 23:06

Thanks for your advice! I may add more sugar to make it thicker and like syrup. Can sugar be added as the process goes on? Is there any harm in doing this?

If anyone had any london (central or west I.e. Ealing) hotspots for sloes please share as I would love to make a second batch soon!

SWLondoner

Post by SWLondoner » 19 Oct 2012, 10:52

If I was you I'd go out on bike or walk along the river in Hanwell or get on the canal. You'll find lots of sloe bushes along there.
Horsenden Hill (in Perivale) has lots of sloes. Nice walk as well, though quite steep!
I used to live in Ealing so know the area. I wasn't a sloe gin maker then though!

3Musketeers

Post by 3Musketeers » 23 Oct 2012, 23:06

Hi

You can add sugar at any time, I usually leave for a while, taste and add more sugar if I think I need to, although I don't like it too sweet like syrup!

I have to say after a week my liquid usually turns quite dark, it's only pale for the first few days.

Good luck with it all

Maggie B

Post by Maggie B » 25 Nov 2012, 11:22

:idea: 3Musketeers
As nothing can be rushed, I suggest that next Spring you plan ahead and go out and seek blackthorn bushes in bloom then you will know where they are. Usually bloom in the famous 'blackthorn winter'.
In the meantime stock up on good gin deals and suitable bottles.
Good luck