Not looking like a good harvest this year

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

freon warrior

Re: Not looking like a good harvest this year

Post by freon warrior » 30 Sep 2013, 12:56

OBG, on further research, I think you may well be right. Some friends picked me some Sloes this weekend which are much smaller than the ones I picked. :oops:

Still I am lead to believe, once in the Gin, it is difficult to tell the difference .

Phil

Post by Phil » 02 Oct 2013, 20:48

Well, I checked out my regular bushes properly the other day (about 30 - 40 feet of Sloe bushes) and it was like Mother Hubbard's cupboard - I counted 9 Sloes in total....... The exception was one bush that was covered but not worth picking as they were all about the same size as Elderberrys......

Never seen anything like it before....
Phil

Col

Post by Col » 10 Oct 2013, 20:07

Went out today (couldn't wait any longer!). I have 2 good sites, both in the Scottish borders. I went to site 1 first. It had a bumper year in 2010, a poor year in 2011, and none in 2012. There were none there today. On to site 2, which has always been a back-up, and the only time I needed it was in 2012, and it had none. Today, it totally came to my rescue - picked 6 litres of fruit!

Some bushes had none, but maybe someone had already picked them - I found a tell-tale gardening glove lying below one bush :wink:. As I went down the line, I found a couple with plenty, and I set about relieving them of there wares. Then I got to one that had fruit the size of which I have not seen before. It was a distinctly mature, woody, tree-like plant. I wondered if they were bullace or damsons? They were the same 'midnight blue' as the sloes. They had the same white bloom as the sloes. The leaves were the same shape as the blackthorn bushes. I got scratched and jagged just as bad as by the other more mature sloe bushes. There was a similarly mature plant further along that had normal sized sloes on it. Everthing was similar to sloes with this oddity, except for the larger size of the fruit.

I wasn't too sure, so I picked them and put them in a separate container.

I just got the ruler out... Typical sloe from the other bushes = 13 mm. Typical fruit from this one odd plant = 20 mm.

After measuring them, I had to give them the taste test. Erk! Both pulled my cheeks in equally well!

So, I will treat them all as sloes - might just keep the large ones separate in the making. I'm thinking they are going to have a different character from the small ones, as the surface area to volume ratio is so drastically different... but, I'm not sure what that difference is going to be?

Ah well... I have work to do... :D

Col

ibbmeister

Post by ibbmeister » 11 Oct 2013, 15:01

Col wrote:Went out today (couldn't wait any longer!). I have 2 good sites, both in the Scottish borders. I went to site 1 first. It had a bumper year in 2010, a poor year in 2011, and none in 2012. There were none there today. On to site 2, which has always been a back-up, and the only time I needed it was in 2012, and it had none. Today, it totally came to my rescue - picked 6 litres of fruit!

Some bushes had none, but maybe someone had already picked them - I found a tell-tale gardening glove lying below one bush :wink:. As I went down the line, I found a couple with plenty, and I set about relieving them of there wares. Then I got to one that had fruit the size of which I have not seen before. It was a distinctly mature, woody, tree-like plant. I wondered if they were bullace or damsons? They were the same 'midnight blue' as the sloes. They had the same white bloom as the sloes. The leaves were the same shape as the blackthorn bushes. I got scratched and jagged just as bad as by the other more mature sloe bushes. There was a similarly mature plant further along that had normal sized sloes on it. Everthing was similar to sloes with this oddity, except for the larger size of the fruit.

I wasn't too sure, so I picked them and put them in a separate container.

I just got the ruler out... Typical sloe from the other bushes = 13 mm. Typical fruit from this one odd plant = 20 mm.

After measuring them, I had to give them the taste test. Erk! Both pulled my cheeks in equally well!

So, I will treat them all as sloes - might just keep the large ones separate in the making. I'm thinking they are going to have a different character from the small ones, as the surface area to volume ratio is so drastically different... but, I'm not sure what that difference is going to be?

Ah well... I have work to do... :D

Col
Well i'm pleased it's not the same sorry story everywhere in the Borders and that you have found a decent batch but alas another 2 days searching far and wide and all i find are empty bushes,but on the bright side i now have new locations and will be out mid september next year as i can only assume people are picking early