Not looking like a good harvest this year

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

avjones

Not looking like a good harvest this year

Post by avjones » 03 Jul 2012, 23:18

I was at my parents' house for the Jubilee weekend, and the prospects aren't looking good for the autumn. There are very few sloes growing at all. Perhaps late frosts killed off the blossom?

This is in Kent, by the way.

Amanda

freon warrior

Re: Not looking like a good harvest this year

Post by freon warrior » 21 Jul 2012, 22:48

I agree, have been out today in Sandhurst and the amount of Sloes is half what it was last year!

nanor

Post by nanor » 31 Jul 2012, 20:46

Lucky those who stocked their freezer in the good times :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » 05 Aug 2012, 09:33

Hi

I picked Sloes 2 weeks ago and put them in the freezer. One thing I did notice was they were the usuall colour of purple/blue but by the time I sieved through them taking out the bad ones I had picked they were a green colour. :o
Is this normal or are they not ripe enough? :?:

Thanks in advance,
Ricco

Phil

Post by Phil » 05 Aug 2012, 15:26

They'll be nowhere near ripe yet.....
Phil

Ricco

Post by Ricco » 07 Aug 2012, 07:55

Can someone confirm:

a... Image is veiwable

b... The sloes are ripe or not

TIA
Ricco

Moonich

Post by Moonich » 10 Aug 2012, 00:00

I can see the pictures after logging into Google+, but I couldn't tell you if they are ready yet. It does seem really early compared with the picking reports of previous years though.

freon warrior

Post by freon warrior » 12 Aug 2012, 16:19

No where near ripe yet Rico.

Ripe sloes:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... sh-007.jpg

Lanius

Post by Lanius » 20 Aug 2012, 15:04

I checked my patch near Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, this morning and was gutted to find no berries on the bushes.

I noted a similar situation on the North Yorkshire coast near Staithes at the weekend where a hillside was covered in blackthorn but no berries.

Could be a very dry winter! I'd better check my local park for damsons as a fallback...

lillo

Post by lillo » 20 Aug 2012, 21:37

Having looked at this site for some years this is the 1st time I have been compelled to comment. The blackthorns in the hedge where I work which had sloes on them ( except the ones I picked) right up to December last year are looking all brown and shrivelled - the leaves that is - and there are practically no sloes developing. I live in the East Midlands but was also walking along a canal in Warwickshire at the weekend and again hardly a sloe to be seen - is this a countrywide problem?

SWLondoner

Post by SWLondoner » 22 Aug 2012, 06:49

Hi Ricco,
The sloes will almost certainly not be ripe - if they are sloes.... however I'm not sure the pics you posted! Hard to tell but they look more like damsons or wild plums to me. I notice one of the "sloes" has a ribbing much like a plum. Also the branches look thick (to me anyway) for a sloe bush - there is also a lack of thorns! I could be wrong though......

tally55

Post by tally55 » 22 Aug 2012, 11:36

I have been out this morning and checked the blackthorns in my area, sadly there are very few sloes about, they seem to have developed and then dried up. The bushes also look very unhealthy. Anyone know why this is ? On a brighter note as I was searching for some decent sloes to pick later in the year I found some wild plums/bullace, not sure which.
But will give them a try.

tally55

Post by tally55 » 22 Aug 2012, 11:47

Forgot to mention, my fathers apple trees are usualy laden with fruit but this year there are very few. Also my son has apples and damson trees and he said there was little fruit.
Perhaps after such a bumper crop last year the trees and bushes are having a rest. I also noted that there are few hawthorn berries and rosehips. Oh and not many elderberries

nidgelowe

Post by nidgelowe » 24 Aug 2012, 16:48

had a visit to my 'secret' location here in Norfolk last night,whilst it may not be a bumper
crop as last year,branches still heavily laden with sloes,should easily manage 1/2 a dozen bottles,or more!!!!!!!!!!