slow cider and sherry

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

tally55

slow cider and sherry

Post by tally55 » 27 Nov 2011, 10:15

I would love to make some sloe cider and sherry when I remove the sloes from my gin, how long can these be kept for before drinking and how should they be stored. I know the gin keeps for ages but not being spirit Im not sure about the cider and sherry. Any advice very much appreciated

spammeplease

Re: slow cider and sherry

Post by spammeplease » 28 Nov 2011, 13:00

I think it's open-ended: You can store them for as long as you like, if you've bottled it carefully. I keep the sloes in the sherry for anything over a month, and anything over a week for the cider. I don't tend too keep the finished product for long as I'm using it to take the pressure off the urge to neck all of my sloe gin. This year I have made some sherry (using 2010 sloes when I bottled it in September) for use at Christmas, and I'd guess that the same rules apply - The longer you leave it the better it gets. I once made some Shlider in March which I kept until late June, by which time it was virtually hallucenogenic. Luckily, we were at Glastonbury, so no-one noticed :P

Early Bird

Post by Early Bird » 15 Dec 2011, 10:37

I would love to make some slider? when I take the gin off the berries around March but would appreciate advice on which cider is best to use. Also, do you add any more sugar? I think it would already be sweet enough, but not sure.

spammeplease

Post by spammeplease » 16 Dec 2011, 10:32

I use Waitrose (my local supermarket) own brand farmhouse cider. I don't put any sugar in, as the cider seems to take the sweetness out of the sloes. The cider is, of course, very fizzy when just opened up, so you have to be prepared for that. In the wide-mouthed jars that I use it is difficult to get a good seal, so further fizziness is lost during maturation, but this is no problem for me, as I'm aiming for a nearly flat end product.

The cider I am using is 6% abv. Add to this a bit more alcohol from the gin or sherry, and you get a pretty potent drink that, like sloe gin, is easy to underestimate. Probably best not to operate heavy machinery after downing a couple of cold glasses in the summer 8)

anniec

Post by anniec » 17 Dec 2011, 03:51

The recipes I have seen use still cider. I think the recipe originated in somerset/Devon where it is more widely available.

Early Bird

Post by Early Bird » 24 Dec 2011, 14:55

Thanks. I was thinking to use Old Rosie which is a suitably flat one, also strong. I look forward to experimenting.

frosty

Post by frosty » 10 Jul 2013, 15:12

I have some "used Sloes" and am about to decant........what cider would you suggest quaility stuff or the stuff that is drunk under railway arches and parks

SWLondoner

Post by SWLondoner » 16 Jul 2013, 15:28

I'd wouldn't use really rubbish cider - you've got to drink it!

I made mine with some scrumpy I bought in Cornwall. It was damn nice chilled and pretty leathal!

frosty

Post by frosty » 17 Jul 2013, 14:39

I wasn't really thinking "tramp" quaility just wondering sweet/dry, anyway as a practise I have put in a cheap one with more sugar, maybe next season i will go for a higher standard, I will let you know how it turns out....thanks