A quick way to prick sloes

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

sloe 2 go

Post by sloe 2 go » 30 Sep 2007, 18:20

I filter it through a double folded piece of muslin a couple of times and it comes out clear.
My gramps used to filter it thru a folded piece of net curtain!! :shock:
but I found muslin better.
I have also done some raspberries too it's lighter and not as dense but it's good for "the punch bowl" at christmas :lol:
Sparklysloegirl x

termiteman

Pricking

Post by termiteman » 04 Oct 2007, 09:32

Being my first year at this I am trying different methods. the one that seems to work the best for me is rolling the Sloes over the surface of a cheese grater. I seem to get an even and well pricked sloe. It is also quick as you can do 4 or 5 in one go.

nickaa

Post by nickaa » 08 Oct 2007, 12:31

I use the freezing method too and the results are always good - why put yourself through all the hard work of pricking them ?

grasloeham

Post by grasloeham » 09 Oct 2007, 14:45

Hi there I have been making this wonderfull fluid for many years now and have found it best to just pop the sloes in the bottle without pricking etc the end result is just the same ,have tried boiling, freezing,pricking and cutting. \it also saves a lot of time and as the finished drink turns out the same why bother with all that stuff.
Gra

termiteman

Post by termiteman » 10 Oct 2007, 09:49

Just did a quick tasting last night on the mix I made at the beginning of Sept. One bottle the sloes were just pricked with a pin, the other rolled on a cheese grater. There is no question that the cheese grater sloes have given more flavour to the mixture. Whether that will be the same at the end of three months I am not sure but will report.

Mr E Mann

Post by Mr E Mann » 11 Oct 2007, 15:54

Just pricked a batch of partly thawed sloes with a dinner fork - much easier and less painful than my previous method with a darning needle!
I did experiment with a cheese grater but it hardly marked the surface.
It took about an hour while watching tv for enough to half fill a demi-john.
This is the first time I've frozen them first and they do seem to be softer and juicier as a result.

hollogram

Re: A quick way to prick sloes

Post by hollogram » 17 Nov 2013, 09:26

I invented a method for pricking sloes which will keep them intact but is much quicker than using a single needle. Introducing the the truly amazing Pendse sloe-pricking device: http://stuffiwanttomake.co.uk/the-amazi ... ing-device.

It's easy to make and you can use it to pick the sloes up to remove the leaves and stalks but you will have the pricked them in the process. There is also a step by step guide on how to make the sloe gin too: http://stuffiwanttomake.co.uk/making-th ... e-sloe-gin.

Enjoy.

OBG

Post by OBG » 17 Nov 2013, 20:25

Is it not better to wait until the sloes are ripe enough to be able to split the skins by squeezing them?

spammeplease

Post by spammeplease » 19 Nov 2013, 09:45

I use a similar multi-pronged pricking device to hollogram. I call it a 'fork'. I'll try to get a picture of it so you can see. :P

@OBG - doesn't squeezing them get a bit messy?

I prick all of my sloes, even the ones picked after the frosts. It only takes 20 mins per batch and I get to inspect them all individually. I'd rather take a bit of care than hurry it too much - especially since some of it is going to be in the bottle for 15 years.

OBG

Post by OBG » 21 Nov 2013, 21:41

No, just roll them between your fingers until they split. It takes less than five minutes for a full batch.

bugbear

Post by bugbear » 14 Aug 2014, 16:27

hollogram wrote:I invented a method for pricking sloes which will keep them intact but is much quicker than using a single needle. Introducing the the truly amazing Pendse sloe-pricking device: http://stuffiwanttomake.co.uk/the-amazi ... ing-device.
Needs more pins...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=638

BugBear