December sloes

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

sandy130674

December sloes

Post by sandy130674 » 03 Dec 2006, 17:28

Just been out today to collect sloes from the Blackwater Estuary in Essex. I stumbled along a long row of bushes without any leaves, but dripping with sloes. It was easy to pick 10kg in just over 2 hours because the leaves had all fallen. The sloes themselves were very ripe, but not squishy, probably because of the few frosts we've had. I've already spent a fortune on gin, so I'll make a 5 gallon batch of sloe wine once I've frozen and defrosted them. Has anyone else uncovered late sloes?

edge

Post by edge » 03 Dec 2006, 18:45

I picked sloes for the first time yesterday sounds like they were the same as yours. I have now botteled my first ltr and can not wait to have a little taste. Might try a few more ltr later in the week.

edge

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 04 Dec 2006, 06:34

You'll find these words of wisdom on the main sloe.biz recipe 'sticky' thread:
Blackthorn wrote:Three years ago I picked sloes on Christmas Eve (in a lane near Ashleworth, Gloucestershire), so do keep looking for later sloes as well :wink:
Somewhere else I mention that sloe blossom blooms on otherwise empty hedgerows in early spring, and that the sloes stand out against the sky late in the year after all the leaves have fallen - definitely the best time to pick in my opinion :)
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

Goonberry

Re: December sloes

Post by Goonberry » 04 Dec 2006, 17:44

sandy130674 wrote:Just been out today to collect sloes from the Blackwater Estuary in Essex. I stumbled along a long row of bushes without any leaves, but dripping with sloes. It was easy to pick 10kg in just over 2 hours because the leaves had all fallen. The sloes themselves were very ripe, but not squishy, probably because of the few frosts we've had. I've already spent a fortune on gin, so I'll make a 5 gallon batch of sloe wine once I've frozen and defrosted them. Has anyone else uncovered late sloes?
I picked mine last Tuesday, just across the water from you on the River Colne Estuary. I found loads on a couple of large bushes. The bushes had not been touched as the low branches were heaving with Sloes. I picked the 5lbs I wanted & left plenty there for someone else to pick. They were all ripe & nice & firm.
I would have taken more, but the freezers not big enough :cry:

Col

Post by Col » 03 Dec 2013, 17:04

Out photographing a pheasant shoot on Saturday in a regular spot where several of the shooters get their sloes. There were still berries on the bushes and everyone seemed to have got all they needed, so I went back on Sunday to get them - just to avoid them going to waste. Nice and easy to pick with the leaves all gone.

Got 8 litres - now in the freezer. A few had gone a bit 'prune-ish', but I'm guessing that should intensify the flavour if anything, so I picked them too. There were absolutely none in our neck of the woods last year (Scottish borders), so it's nice to have some reserve stock.

Glorious day on Sunday - picking sloes in my shirt sleeves on the 1st of December...

Col

OBG

Post by OBG » 03 Dec 2013, 19:17

Picked mine back end of October and the gin is well on its way, hopefully ready to decant for Christmas. After seeing those photos, you have tempted me to go back and get some more.

Thanks for that Col!