Sloe Gin and Coffee Beans

Discuss sloe gin recipes - and all those secret family variations! Post your questions and replies here if they are about sloes and gin

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

oldFAQs

Sloe Gin and Coffee Beans

Post by oldFAQs » 14 Mar 2004, 19:15

An Italian friend of mine tells me:

Add a few coffee beans (4-5) to the sloes, while you are soaking them
in the gin. Remove them while straining your sloe gin.

This addition has an incredible effect on the final result.
Have you come across this 'tip' before?

Love the web site - my wife and I have just picked part of about 7 lbs
of fruit from the blackthorn hedges in our back garden. No need for
an OS map here :-)
Best regards, Brian Blood, 10 Sep 03
All oldFAQs posts are based on questions on the old sloe.biz site during 2003.
See the original writer's name/date at the end of their question.

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 14 Mar 2004, 21:34

Thanks for the coffe bean tip - which is new to me. Almond and vanilla are two other popular additions to sloe gin.

For myself I prefer to promote the very simple sloes/sugar/gin recipe.

I thought about planting sloes in my own garden ... but then felt the annual walks in country lanes would do me more good!
Keep testing/tasting,
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 20 Oct 2006, 17:49

As an update to this very old thread ...

I had some Pacharan in a local (Southern Spanish) bar today, and it came with a pinch of half a dozen coffee beans in it - taken from the coffee machine at the bar ... and I was reminded of this old thread.

I liked the subtle effect on the glass of finished Pacharan (made with sloes and anis, not gin), but don't know if adding a few coffee beans with the pricked sloes would be worthwhile.

Has anyone tried this? Would anyone be willing to drop a few roasted coffee beans into one of their newly filled bottles, as an experiment, and then report back?

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 20 Oct 2006, 20:24

I begged some coffee beans from a Costa Coffee outlet for my Pacharan, and I have a few left. I'll chuck a few in one of the sloe gins, if my husband will let me adulterate the sloe gin :wink:

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 20 Oct 2006, 20:38

Thanks LL. Be careful not to overdo the coffee though.

The original tip from an Italian source, above, recommends only 4 or 5 coffee beans added to the sloes. Be careful not to turn it into sloe cocoa :lol:

divingcpl

Post by divingcpl » 28 Oct 2006, 09:28

i am making four lots of sloe gin today one with white suger, one with light brown suger, one with a few coffee beans in and one with a vanilla pod in will let you all know how they turn out
as i am a virgin at all this i think i might be a bit more adventureus than others with my berries than those of you who have it down to a fine art.
god loves a tryer :)

tedslo

Post by tedslo » 24 Nov 2006, 16:15

This query is for oldFAQS...when adding coffee beans do you mean 4-5 beans per bottle (700mL) of gin??
Has anyone done this...and what are the results??
thanks

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 25 Nov 2006, 08:41

tedslo wrote:This query is for oldFAQS...when adding coffee beans do you mean 4-5 beans per bottle (700mL) of gin??
Has anyone done this...and what are the results??
thanks
Welcome to sloe.biz Tedslo. I have just added some text, in red, to the first post above, to explain who oldFAQs really is :) (Not sure why it wasn't there in the first place!).

As for the coffee beans - I'm sure anything between two and six per 700 ml or 1 litre bottles will be perfectly OK, and just a matter of personal taste.

Ignore my quip above about sloe cocoa! Adding just a few coffee beans should produce a very welcome and subtle difference in taste. Note that word subtle - your sloe gin will NOT end up tasting like bitter black coffee!

Check viewtopic.php?t=314&highlight=coffee+beans for divingcpl's experience with coffee.

Also SEARCH sloe.biz for coffee beans for more results :)
Last edited by Blackthorn on 25 Nov 2006, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

grace

Post by grace » 25 Nov 2006, 16:51

I have just done what is definitely the last bottle this year. The sloes have had a few frosts on them and there were still enough plump and juicy ones, but most are now shrivelling, so that's that.

Have added the coffee beans to this one, so am expecting something special from it!

tedslo

coffee beans

Post by tedslo » 25 Nov 2006, 22:22

Thanks Blackthorn..I'll try a few bottles with coffee beans..tedslo

sadie

Re: Sloe Gin and Coffee Beans

Post by sadie » 07 Nov 2013, 11:38

How did this turn out? I'd be intrigued in trying some experiments like this with the rest of my frozen sloes this year.

sadie

Re: Sloe Gin and Coffee Beans

Post by sadie » 28 Dec 2013, 02:47

I did a batch with some espresso shots rather than raw beans. My brewer friends tell me that letting coffee beans sit infusing for a long time brings out the wrong notes.