Pacharan - Recipe please

What other spirits do you use for bottling fruit? Exchange recipe ideas here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Bambooflyrod

Pacharan - Recipe please

Post by Bambooflyrod » 01 Nov 2004, 18:43

[Moved to the 'All Other Spirits' section]
I'm hoping that someone will not only have heard of Pacharan, but may even have a recipe.

For thoses who aren't familiar with this drink, it is native to Spain, and in particular, the Northern parts around the Basque region.

I first tried this drink about four years ago whilst up in the mountains around Navarro. The small hotel I was at made their own I suspect, although it can be bought locally over there and at airports etc. I normally get the odd bottle brought back from friends visiting Spain (Zoco is the best). It's not available over here in the UK for some reason.

I have only recently found out that this drink is made from Sloes in a similar manner to that of Sloe Gin, however the base liqueur is an anise liqueur.

Can anyone help with a recipe or tell me what the base liqueur should be.

Cheers,

Ian

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 02 Nov 2004, 13:14

This site gives some information about Pacharan - or Patxaran in Basque - http://www.patxarancasero.com/ ... and there is even a reassuring photo of familiar looking sloes (or endrinas in Spanish).
El patxaran, pacharán o licor de endrinas es un producto de la tierra, original de Navarra y el País Vasco. Para su elaboración se utilizan endrinas del bosque en su punto óptimo de maduración y anís de la más alta calidad.
Here is a very rough translation: Patcharan, or sloe liquer is a product of the land, originally from Navarra and Pais Vasco. It is made from the ripest sloes (optimo de maduracion) from a wood, and anis of the highest quality.

This only confirms what Bambooflyrod has already written ... so the search for the recipe continues! BUT, I am sure you could simply substitute anis for gin as a starting point. At least anis is now confirmed as the correct spirit to use.

Buen suerte! :)
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

Bambooflyrod

Post by Bambooflyrod » 02 Nov 2004, 15:15

Thanks Blackthorn. I have about 2 inches of Zoco left in a bottle. Keeping it for a rainy day. (Today up here would be a good day actually). However, the smell of one of my bottles of recent sloe Gin has a familiar smell to it. Very similar to the Pacharan, but there's something not quite right. Obviously the Anis base. I will keep looking, but I confess to knowing nothing about Anise type drinks with the exception of Ouzo. Thanks for the link by the way.

Have you ever tried Pacharan ? Very 'moreish'.

Ian

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Post by Blackthorn » 02 Nov 2004, 16:39

Bambooflyrod wrote: I will keep looking, but I confess to knowing nothing about Anise type drinks with the exception of Ouzo.
Have you ever tried Pacharan ? Very 'moreish'.
I also know nothing about anis so will shut up now!

Three weeks ago I was in a small town near Cordoba, in the south of Spain, and was suprised to see what I took to be sloe gin in a presentation box on a bar. I asked the waitress to hold the bottle for me while I took a picture. She fell for it (!) and I now have a nice picture of her! Anyway ... on close examination of the bottle I see it is in fact Pacharan! The label reads: 'Las Endrinas 2003, Pacharan' and it's from Navarro.

Here are the photos: http://www.sloe.biz/endrinas/
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

Bambooflyrod

Post by Bambooflyrod » 02 Nov 2004, 20:21

Thanks Blackthorn. I've had a couple of bottles of that Pacharan. OK, but if you get chance, try the Zoco.

Incidentally, the empty bottles make great Olive Oil containers.

I'll keep searching.

Ian

cloggy

Post by cloggy » 24 Dec 2004, 22:24

You could make your own using vodka, sloes (obviously), sugar (bit less than normal sloe gin) and some aniseed essential oil (illicium verum). I could point you to a website where you can buy this but I am not sure if this would be seen as advertising.

Other ingredients sometimes used are coffee beans (just a few per pottle) and vanilla.

Started some about 2 weeks ago. Initially I could just smell the aniseed, but now the sloes are taking over and the aniseed smell is disappearing. Looking forward to sampling this next winter!

deadsloeandstop

Gerry's - Old Compton Street

Post by deadsloeandstop » 02 Oct 2005, 20:09

Do you live anywhere near London? If so, you could try Gerry's in Old Compton Street. It's famous for it's HUGE range of drinks from all over the world.....I have managed to find many holiday favourites there.

It is located at the Wardour Street end of Old Compton Street, at nr 74. Telephone number is......020 7734 2053.

Regards,

D-J a.k.a. DeaSloeandStop

cellartroll

Here you go!

Post by cellartroll » 12 Sep 2006, 22:37

Pacharan is a Spanish liqueur.

* 1 litre dry aniseed flavored alcohol (e.g. arak,raki,ouzo or you could add 4tsp aniseed to 1litre of vodka)
* 250 g sloe berries (blackthorn, prunus spinosa)
* 2 tbsp sugar
* stick of cinnamon
* 6 coffee beans
* camomile flowers (say 1 tsp)
* dry orange peel

Macerate the sloe berries in the alcohol until it becomes a characteristic intense red, then add sugar, coffee beans,camomile flowers,cinnamon, orange peel. Macerate for at least 30 days. Strain.
Variations of the above exist. The use of sloe beries is reminiscent of English sloe gin.

Got mine on the go this evening :)
Ride on...

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 03 Oct 2006, 09:11

Hmmm. We've got most of a bottle of Tsikoudia left from a holiday in Crete (tastes much nicer when you're over there than it does when you get home!) I might try this recipe or a variant thereof. I don't have any camomile flowers per se but I do have a camomile teabag; I think I might try and use that.

Thanks.

Nia (aka Lil)

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 06 Oct 2006, 00:04

The organisation I work for has several offices and I was visiting one today when I noticed several sloe trees near the car park (away from too much traffic). The branches were laden with large, plump sloes. I attracted quite a few puzzled glances as I picked a few - didn't have time to pick many but visit quite often so will take a container next time, and will collect at lunchtime.

Anyway, I got enough sloes for Pacharan, I think, so bought a bottle of Pernod on the way home and will put a bottle up this weekend (the sloes looked too nice to waste on the Tsikoudia).

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 07 Oct 2006, 15:15

Right, I've put the Pacharan up to macerate. Really strange colour with the Pernod. I need to get hold of some coffee beans, orange peel and camomile flowers to bung in there; there's already a cinnamon stick and a vanilla pod.

tinkerbelle

Sloe gin versus Pacharan

Post by tinkerbelle » 12 Oct 2006, 12:32

What a find this web site is!! I am addicted and have read virtually every posting over the last three days - does this make me interested, obsessive or just sad???
I have been making sloe gin for about five years now. I must confess to not having tried making much else, but this year i have picked some late small blackberries that are just soooo sweet to the tastebuds that i will try blackberry vodka and blackberry cognac rather than doing the usual blackberry and apple pie (although normally not to be sneezed at!)

My sloe gin goes towards the pre-hunting stirrup cup (normally long before any riders have even seen their horses!) and the hunting fraternity spends HOURS swapping recepies (sloe gin with juniper berries being a particular favourite)!

I always add 10 or so almonds and was pleased to discover that many other 'sloenes' also recommend almond esscence , i might try vanilla now i know!

I have about five litres on the go so far this year, the sloes have been fantastic here in lincolnshire (near stamford) and i resisted temptation to pick until sunday evening - just before torrential rain this week which will have done them no good!

I normally leve my gin for a year before opening - but many other sloenies here taste as early as christmas, so another thing to try!

Whilst on holiday in Spain with some good friends (big sloe-gin folk) some time ago we tried Pacharan and enjoyed several enjoyable evenings (as far as i can remember!) carrying out our own brand consumer tests. All results long since forgotten!

However, a few weeks later the sloe-gin folk bought a new thoroughbred mare (supposedly for racing, till she proved too sloe, -!!)
and we sat discussing potential names for her (over some sloe vodka as i recall!).
We all decided that she MUST be called PACHA ! (Pacharan deemed to long and complicated). My son now has her to ride and she is as sweet as her namesake, maturing nicely although not quite developed or robust enough yet!

To all you sloenies out there who drink your gin as an apperitiv at the end of a good hearty meal, my recommendation is to go out on a frosty morning and warm yourself up with a nip of the purple stuff. Then watch your breath steam! Works best if you have an excuse to do this, such as dog walking , (or hunting, shooting , fishing, i suppose) not just sitting on the front door step in order to partake - the postman will give you odd looks and probably spread rumours!

Am now going to read up on the recepies and imagine all the things i could be making, if only i weren't half so sloe.

:lol:

kmmy

Post by kmmy » 12 Oct 2006, 12:48

It's nice to see a post on here from some one so close! We are from the other side of Boston(fat town). We have had an abundance of good plump sloes out this side too! I know what you mean Tinkerbelle about being out first thing in the morning to enjoy sloe gin to warm yourself up, my husband and friends shoot and its very popular with them. We have got our first shoot Saturday, hopefully we shall have some of last years left for the offering as this years is only 2 months old, probably try it early next year! :D

ChrisR

Re: Pacharan - Recipe please

Post by ChrisR » 21 Mar 2015, 10:07

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was wondering whether anyone has tried some of these Pacharan recipes? I was thinking of giving it a go with some of my left-over frozen sloes and a bottle of Sambuca but I'm not sure whether to add anything else. The coffee beans are the most controversial because they are a relatively modern discovery and I can't imagine that they are very 'traditional' - the same might go for vanilla too. Cinnamon can be a bit strong in flavour too and I'd like the taste of the sloes to shine though.

So, what do the experts say? Which combinations work best? :)

ChrisR

Re: Pacharan - Recipe please

Post by ChrisR » 22 Mar 2015, 16:46

Well, I plumped for the simple option to start with:

1-litre Kilner jar
70cl Sambuca
400g (ish) of sloes

I thought about adding cinnamon and a chamomile tea-beg but I thought I'd wait for comments - I can add those later as I've left a bit of room :)