HELP!!! Sloe Whisky

What other spirits do you use for bottling fruit? Exchange recipe ideas here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Cobie

HELP!!! Sloe Whisky

Post by Cobie » 11 Oct 2010, 15:56

Hi All

I'm a newie to making things with sloes and I have rather a large supply of good whisky I would like to turn into sloe whisky (normally I don't like the taste of whisky but I bought some sloe whisky last year at an agricultural show and it was amazing)!

Has anyone got any ideas for recipies and methods etc. I have picked about 2.5kg of sloes.They're cleaned & de-stalked etc and are in the freezer as we speak. How long do I need to freeze them before the skins split. When they defrost do I put the fruit and the juices in with the whisky? I really do not have clue where to start except for putting them in a bottle with sugar (what kind - caster, granulated, brown, muscavado)??? How much whisky to sloes to sugar :evil: It's a mine field with so many recipies out there.

Can anyone help - it will be greatly appreciated. Please remember I am a complete idiot with this so idiot proof instructions please.
Thanks in advance
Idiot :-)

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Re: HELP!!! Sloe Whisky

Post by Blackthorn » 21 Oct 2010, 10:51

You probably can't go wrong if you simply follow the sloe gin recipe on sloe.biz and substitute whisky for the gin. Only vary or change the recipe on your second batch - if you get that far. So stick with normal granulated sugar for your first batch, and only experiment with brown sugar and other variations on a later batch - if you really want to.
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

your man godfrey

Re: HELP!!! Sloe Whisky

Post by your man godfrey » 25 Nov 2010, 19:34

I really like Sloe Whisky and find it mixes really well with ginger beer. This recipe sounds good to me, I would add some sugar and then sugar to taste as the amount needed would vary depending on the whisky.