Patxaran again

What other spirits do you use for bottling fruit? Exchange recipe ideas here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Languid Lil

Patxaran again

Post by Languid Lil » 23 Sep 2007, 20:59

Hello from North Wales.

Well, it's that time of year again. Lovely lovely sloe gin, and after last year's successful experiment, I think I'll try some more Patxaran. The only thing is, last year I made it with Pernod, which a) not authentic and b) not cheap. I believe one is supposed to use something called anisette. Does anyone know if this is available in the UK?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 04 Oct 2007, 22:08

Sorry, can't help with that, but it's good to see you again Lil!

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 05 Oct 2007, 16:37

Why thank you Elizabeth. It's good to see you too.

Lil :oops:

spammeplease

Post by spammeplease » 11 Oct 2007, 18:36

Anisette is sweeter than pastis, according to most sources. I tried some Patxaran last year too and it was really good but all went in a weekend. I'm pretty sure I used TheDrinkshop.com to get Cartron anisette although their website doesn't look familiar. It was pretty expensive at about £17 a bottle for 2 with P+P, but did the trick for me.

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nl ... rodid=2422

PS for pastis with a real flavour try Henri Bardouin from Waitrose - it is an amazing taste sensation

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 15 Oct 2007, 22:03

Darn it, I didn't check the website until after I'd bought 2 bottles of pernod today for £13.99 each. Oh well, it'll be nice anyway I guess.

Thanks for your help spammeplease (not your real name I take it!)

Lil

spammeplease

Post by spammeplease » 16 Oct 2007, 20:01

You can call me Pam, if you like, (but the name's Richard 8)). It's a nom de plume that I've used for many years in various forums - not so suited for the lovely genteel atmosphere in here.

It's been worrying me that I hardly remember either making or drinking the Patxaran last year, possibly because I flaffed around at the same time making a coffee flavoured sloe gin that sounded really nice but was a bit of an embarassment when I tried it on an unsuspecting public :oops:. I do like a pastis, but since I discovered the HB I've not had a Pernod or even a Ricard - what a snob!

termiteman

Post by termiteman » 30 Oct 2007, 10:16

Do you have a recipe for this as it sounds rather good and I am due to go to France in the next couple of weeks so could pick up some of the relevant liquor

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 30 Oct 2007, 21:56

cellartroll wrote:Pacharan is a Spanish liqueur.

* 1 litre dry aniseed flavored alcohol (e.g. arak,raki,ouzo or you could add 4tsp aniseed to 1litre of vodka)
* 250 g sloe berries (blackthorn, prunus spinosa)
* 2 tbsp sugar
* stick of cinnamon
* 6 coffee beans
* camomile flowers (say 1 tsp)
* dry orange peel

Macerate the sloe berries in the alcohol until it becomes a characteristic intense red, then add sugar, coffee beans, camomile flowers,cinnamon, orange peel. Macerate for at least 30 days. Strain.
Variations of the above exist. The use of sloe berries is reminiscent of English sloe gin.

Got mine on the go this evening :)
I used a camomile tea bag as the source of camomile flowers and I think I've overdone the sugar a bit.

Languid

(The thread is at viewtopic.php?t=95&sid=f670927cfb3acb15e911cb21e735cbd8)

termiteman

Post by termiteman » 31 Oct 2007, 08:09

Languid Lil wrote:
cellartroll wrote:
I used a camomile tea bag as the source of camomile flowers and I think I've overdone the sugar a bit.

Languid

(The thread is at viewtopic.php?t=95&sid=f670927cfb3acb15e911cb21e735cbd8)
When you say you have over done the sugar does that mean 2 tbsp is too much?

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 31 Oct 2007, 21:31

No, I mean I forgot I was making Pacharan not sloe gin and just bunged a cupful in. Mind you, I don't suppose it will make a huge difference in the long run.

termiteman

Post by termiteman » 06 Nov 2007, 08:23

Well I have made my mixture up. I have added 400g of sloes as 250 just seemed to few. 1 tsp of ground coffee as I have no beans and I vested an orange as I have no dry peel. So lets hope it is ok.

Also I note you are only suppose to put in 2.5 tbsp of sugar, is this enough. It seems too little when compared to sloe gin, but then as I have never taste Paxaran I don't know what it is supposed to taste like.

spammeplease

Post by spammeplease » 11 Feb 2008, 12:19

I've finally got my 2007 Patxaran on the go - I had to wait until I had bottled up the first 30 Sloe Gins to get some available jars :D I used Anisette from theDrinkshop.com again as my 'research' revealed that Anisette is made from aniseed, whereas Pastis is made from Star Anise although quite what the difference is, I have no idea. Anyhow, I used a chamomile tea bag, forgot the orange peel (which I will rectify in the next couple of days) and I didn't bother with sugar as the anisette was quite sweet. It's also only 25% abv, so the finished product should be fairly mild. I still have some frozen sloes left, so I may just try some with pastis for comparison, and will report back in July.....

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 22 Feb 2008, 14:13

Quite right about anisette vs. pastis but I couldn't be a***d to get hold of anisette and I have to say the pastis-based version was scrummy. All gone now, sadly, but delicious while it lasted *sigh*.

spammeplease

Post by spammeplease » 28 Feb 2008, 12:11

I've made some adjustments already. First I ditched the cinammon. I'd used a whole stick from a newly opened bottle and I thought it made it too sickly at this early stage. For Orange peel I had substituted mandarin peel for a while, but I have just changed that for dried orange peel after the OH pointed out that it was full of oils wheras mandarins were not.

Also, I've noticed that the sloes float in a different way - When the jars are inverted, they rise to the top much more slowly than in gin. Probably their mediterranean heritage or some such.