Used Sloes

What other spirits do you use for bottling fruit? Exchange recipe ideas here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

blewy

Used Sloes

Post by blewy » 31 Dec 2006, 10:50

I have read articles about using the sloes in other spirits after they come out of the gin and would like to try some. Has anyone got exact recipes of their successes please?

malty45

Post by malty45 » 02 Sep 2007, 10:18

I made some gin, left it for 3 months, I then took the gin out and added more sugar and another bottle of gin...just taken the gin out now from the second lot, left it for about 6 months....the gin is just as nice as the first batch but perhaps not quite as dark.

frosty

Re: Used Sloes

Post by frosty » 09 Feb 2009, 14:24

over the course of last year 08/09 I made three demi-john worth of sloe gin then I put all the old sloes together and started as if afresh, and although a lighter shade it seems ok, but i suppose with the higher concentration of berries to gin and sugar this is only as would be expected

70 PROOF DAVE

Post by 70 PROOF DAVE » 25 Oct 2011, 19:42

WHAT TO DO WITH USED SLOES,
I LEAVE THEM IN THE DEMI-JOHN AND ADD A KILO OF SUGAR AND TOP UP WITH HOTTISH WATER TO MELT THE SUGAR. ADD A GOOD YEAST AND LEAVE TO FERMENT OUT. RACK OFF INTO BOTTLES AND LEAVE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS BEFORE DRINKING.OR
INSTEAD OF USING AN AIRLOCK AT FERMENTATION PUT A PLUG OF COTTON WOOL IN THE NECK AND FERMENT OUT THAT WAY AND LEAVE FOR A YEAR BEFORE RACKING OFF.
A NICE SHERRY TYPE FLAVOUR OR IF THE PLUG HASN`T WORKED SOMETHING RESEMBLING VINEGAR.

geofspa

Post by geofspa » 12 Nov 2011, 17:27

blewy wrote:I have read articles about using the sloes in other spirits after they come out of the gin and would like to try some. Has anyone got exact recipes of their successes please?
Ho

I have been making sloe/bullace gin and damson vodka for years now.

The sloes and bullaces after steeping in the gin I use again to flavour pale dry amontillado sherry, I normally add a couple of ounces of dark brown soft sugar to 1l sherry + steeped fruit from demi john of decanted gin (see other posts for sloe gin).

The damsons either get used to make a wonderful jam (my OH is in charge of that) or de-stoned and liquidised as a topping for apple crumble with home made ice-cream.

mary

Post by mary » 21 Nov 2011, 17:46

I made by first sloe gin last year and afterwards put the de-stoned used sloes in a shallow tray and covered them with melted chocolate - yum.

mary

Post by mary » 25 Dec 2011, 20:40

Does anyone know why my sloe vodka is fizzing up it is about 6 weeks old?