Sloes - this years crop

What other spirits do you use for bottling fruit? Exchange recipe ideas here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

libertylinda

Sloes - this years crop

Post by libertylinda » 11 Sep 2006, 17:14

Could not believe my eyes when out walking yesterday and today. The sloes in this area, North East Hampshire, are amazing. I am so glad I have found this site whilst looking for a recipe for sloe gin. I am now going too have a go at the jelly as well. The slow bushes are groaning with fuit here. Hope it is the same where you all live. I have made sloe gin before, several years ago, but when I decided to have a crafty taste, I found that there was no liquid at all in the bottle - only sloes. Apparently, it evaporates. Well, that is what my husband wanted me to believe!! I am going to make some again this year. Any suggestions anyone as to how I can actually get to drink some?

Yours thirstilly,

Linda

deadsloeandstop

Re: Sloes - this years crop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 11 Sep 2006, 20:35

libertylinda wrote:Apparently, it evaporates. Well, that is what my husband wanted me to believe!! I am going to make some again this year.
Hmmm...I think you need a hiding place away from your husband's gaze!!! Is there somewhere in the house he doesn't go? If so, keep you bottles there... :lol: :lol: :lol:

...and yes, the berries this year are much larger than I've seen them in a long while. 8)

Cheers,
Last edited by deadsloeandstop on 12 Sep 2006, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

mrs-ploppy

Post by mrs-ploppy » 12 Sep 2006, 07:42

I'd stick it in the ironing pile-nobody ever looks there!

TillyBoo

Post by TillyBoo » 12 Sep 2006, 21:49

I totally agree with the huge amount of sloes this year. You know its good when you can see the sloe bushes practically glowing blue from a distance!

Theyre HUGE too.