Recommendations please for vodka

What other spirits do you use for bottling fruit? Exchange recipe ideas here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

grace

Recommendations please for vodka

Post by grace » 16 Dec 2005, 16:39

I have come across an extra bottle of vodka. Have got loads of sloe gin and one bottle of blackberry vodka, so does anyone have any recommendations for another fruit or herb vodka-based drink?

Also - do people mostly drink the blackberry vodka neat, or with a mixer? Haven't tried it before. All suggestions/recipes welcome!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 19 Dec 2005, 20:06

Hi Grace,
I don't like good drinks watered down so my Blackberry Vodka is served neat (and very good it is too) :wink:
Elizabeth

grace

Post by grace » 20 Dec 2005, 11:34

Thanks, Elizabeth. Hope you had enough left after all the tasting! How much sugar did you add in the end?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 22 Dec 2005, 20:39

Hi Grace,
To answer your questions, yes there is still some left, and my mom was very pleased with the bottle I gave her for her birthday. I recently purchased 4 small bottles of wine, you know the ones with just a couple of glasses in them. I HAD to drink the wine so that I could use two for filling up with orange whiskey, one with sloe gin and one with blackberry vodka. Prior to filling them up with my home made 'oh be joyful' I got out the glass paints and decorated them. It made a nice gift in a pretty decorated box, mother was delighted. I added 3 dessertspoons of sugar per jar.
This afternoon I called at the local farm shop and was eyeing the frozen blackberries and wondering if they might make some more vodka schnapps.
Elizabeth

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 13 Apr 2006, 12:32

Have you thought about Mars Bar Vodka? It's real treat... :D Or perhaps Galaxy or Dairy Milk Vodka...

If you're interested, post a message here and I'll tpe out the instructions.

grace

Post by grace » 13 Apr 2006, 12:52

Yes please!

My friend has also heard that green Opal Fruits make a good vodka drink. :shock:

This is getting rather surreal.

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 13 Apr 2006, 17:45

Mars Bar Vodka

You will need:

I bottle of cheap vodka
2 Mars bars – broken into little bits
1 large saucepan – half filled with water
1 tea towel
1 glass

Instructions:

Open bottle of vodka and pour out enough vodka into the glass so that the broken bits of Mars bar will fit in. Drink vodka!

Boil pan of water and turn off heat. Wait a few minutes.

Place lid on bottle of vodka, but DO NOT screw up…it should be rest on top to prevent evaporation of alcohol. Lower bottle into pan of hot water (standing up)…you may need the tea towel for this.

After 5 minutes or so take bottle out of water and screw lid shut. Shake bottle. Most of the Mars bar should have melted.

Re-boil water and switch off. Loosen lid on bottle and replace into the water. Again, leave a few minutes. Remove, tighten lid and shake.

Keep repeating until all lumps of Mars bar have gone.

When finished you can pop it in the fridge…it will not separate.

This process also works with other chocolate products.

ENJOY!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 14 Apr 2006, 19:25

This I HAVE to try! Um, do the calories boil out of the Mars bar by any chance?
Elizabeth

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 14 Apr 2006, 20:09

After a couple of glasses of liquid, alcholic Mars bar I can assure you that you won't be thinking of calories...it tastes FANTASTIC when drunk icy cold... :D

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 15 Apr 2006, 22:34

Well as soon as I finish painting the walls and ceiling of this study I am off for the Mars bars, oh yipppeee a drink to help me work, rest, and play :wink:
E

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 16 Apr 2006, 18:41

Elizabeth wrote:oh yipppeee a drink to help me work, rest, and play :wink:
E
Very funny, Elizabeth :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have also tried making apple & cinnamon vodka (not too good), vanilla vodka (OK) and chilli vodka (great for Bloody Marys)...but my fave is probably Dime Bar vodka...it follows the same recipe as above, but you do gt left with some residue...and it's a good idea to pulverise the Dime Bar before start... :D

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 17 Apr 2006, 19:48

Okay Pestle and Morter at the ready, how many Dime Bars, and PLEASE may I have the recipe for the Vanilla Vodka. Many years ago I had a German recipe for Vanilla schnapps, sorry to say I lost the recipe but I remember it required... wait for this pure alcohol, at the time I was a nurse with the military and am ashamed to say I went and batted my eyelashes and sweet talked a chap who worked in the medical stores. Made the scnapps and after the 6 weeks it was supposed to take it was HORRIBLE, anway the hardly tasted bottle made it's way to a friend (great whiskey drinker) who kept it for about 12 months, I was then told it was taken out and relished by those who were in the bar that night, me? I was on night duty!! The lesson being of course to have patience, of course one of the reasons I like the idea of the choc bar vodka is it must be ready straight away? Yes, I'm still after instant gratification.
Elizabeth

nubnuts

Post by nubnuts » 18 Apr 2006, 18:44

There's nowt like a bit of fun with alcohol!
My Mars bar vodka recipe is slightly different-
400ml vodka
4 Mars bars
150ml double cream
Melt the Mars bar with the cream in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Allow to cool slightly and combine with vodka. Also works really well with After Eights, and I'm keen to try a Bounty version!

Then of course there's the classic Turish Delight Vodka....
350g Turkish delight, chopped coarsely
450ml vodka

Rinse any icing sugar or cornflour off the Turkish delight. Remove lid from vodka bottle and add Turkish delight. Tighten lid and agitate bottle for 2 minutes. Store in cool, dark place, agitating every time you remember (but at least twice a day) until Turkish delight dissolves. This will take up to a week.
Drink neat, or mix with lychee juice and soda water over ice.

I'd love to hear any other variations on this theme!

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 19 Apr 2006, 22:50

For Dime bar vodka, I usually use about 4 bars...

Love the sound of the Turkish Delight Vodka... :D

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 20 Apr 2006, 20:56

Turkish delight vodka soudns great Nubnuts! I will certainly try the Dime Bar too D-J I made up a bottle of the Mars bar Vodka which i will take to germany next month for my sister-in-laws birthday bash (hows that for coals to Newcastle)?
Elizabeth