Where did I go wrong?

Use the gin-soaked flesh of discarded sloes to make luxury chocolates! Share tips and culinary hints here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Srebarna Birding

Where did I go wrong?

Post by Srebarna Birding » 04 Mar 2007, 15:50

Well made my sloe Gin and Rakia...both yummmy...very very pleased with my first attempt! :D :D not lasting long though......

I removed the sloes to try to make chocs with them today....and they are horrid....
Some still too hard...some with 'pasty' consistancy...even when I dipped them in masses of choc they were not nice...... :cry: :cry:

Where did I go wrong........so I know for next time....don't worry though I enjoyed licking the choc out of the bowl like a big kid :D
www.srebarnabirding.com
Bulgarian Guesthouse Owner/Property Sales and Management

Wendy

Post by Wendy » 07 Mar 2007, 18:18

Im making my first batch now, but my friend made some ready for christmas. her sloes also were hard and not really usable for the truffles, however her damsons were fine so i used those.

Im having a go at doing a batch of sloe gin in a wine bag, and each day i give it a bit of a squish which from feel is removing the fruit from the stone, hopefully that will make the fruit more usable for the chocs :D will keep you informed, I also have 4 bottles on the go, and the fruit are starting to shrivel just like Vid's did.

Srebarna Birding

Post by Srebarna Birding » 07 Mar 2007, 19:21

Thanks for that...at least I know I am not alone and don't feel so bad now..... :roll:

I don't understand why they stayed so hard and tasted of nothing really..
Ah well they did the trick with the Gin and Rakia ...so must not grumble.. :wink:
www.srebarnabirding.com
Bulgarian Guesthouse Owner/Property Sales and Management

Wendy

Post by Wendy » 03 Apr 2007, 14:02

Well I have just bottled up my sloe Gin made in the wine bag and yep it has worked a treat ... the fruit is all soft and broken up, had to filter it out through a tea towel, the Gin is clear and yummy and the sloes are pretty much prepared ready for the truffles :D

I reccommend the Wine Bag method every time :D

SloeRanger

Post by SloeRanger » 03 Feb 2008, 11:50

Hey Srebrana

Had the sloes been soaked in the gin first? I only use sloes that have been removed from the gin just as you are bottling it up - so you have a good soak for several months.

After you remove them from the gin and take out the stones, add a bit of the sloe gin and pulp them with a pestle and mortar until they are soft. You add this pulp to the truffle mixture and roll into balls before coating with chocolate.

Another way of softening the sloes is to put them in the freezer for a few days before putting them into the gin.

Please do try again this year - I hope you have more luck!

SloeRanger :)