There's a first time for everything...

Use the gin-soaked flesh of discarded sloes to make luxury chocolates! Share tips and culinary hints here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Languid Lil

There's a first time for everything...

Post by Languid Lil » 29 Sep 2006, 11:12

...so this year I'm definitely going to make sloe gin chocolates of some sort. I've read all the posts in this section but I'm still a bit confused.

Let me run through it for my own benefit.
:arrow: First, I make the sloe gin in the usual way.
:arrow: Some time later I remove the sloes - Blackthorn recommends two to three months which would be mid December if I'm going to do it before Christmas.
:arrow: Then, I remove the stones from the ginny sloes, probably using an olive stoner (I need to get one of those). This bit sounds messy.
:arrow: I can then optionally soak the sloes in cheap sherry (sounds like a good way of preserving them until I get round to making the chocolates).
:arrow: I then make the truffles, which need to be kept in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks - just in time for Christmas!

Sounds great. Any comments or suggestions?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 01 Oct 2006, 22:10

Hi Lil, don't suppose it makes any difference but I did not de-stone the sloes until I made the chocs, I just used a sharp knife to de-stone, I suppose an olive stoner would be a good idea, but yep you have just about got it right, I am using port not sherry this year for no reason other than it is what was hanging around and I don't like it.
E

Languid Lil

Post by Languid Lil » 02 Oct 2006, 10:28

Thanks Elizabeth. Good idea re. using up what's available; I have a bottle of dodgy Madeira that my mum brought back from... well, from Madeira actually! I might give that a go.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 02 Oct 2006, 20:59

Sounds a good idea Lil, I like cheap and free is even better waste not and all that hahahaha
Elizabeth

Blackthorn
Site Admin

Flesh of the sloes for chocolates

Post by Blackthorn » 23 Oct 2006, 20:46

Just two points - from someone who has never used the sloes for anything except the gin :oops:

I cut my sloes by rolling a knife over each one, and this has the useful side-effect of producing two halves ready for prising apart when you come to make chocolates with the flesh.

The usual two to three months minimum for steeping the sloes to make sloe gin sounds perfect for the chocolate-making too. Sloes that are left too long in the gin (over a year or two, for example) will be suprisingly dry and shrivelled.
"There's no biz like sloe.biz"

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 27 Oct 2006, 19:19

Oh! I will try rolling the knife thingy thank you Blackthorn!!!