I made some chocs

Use the gin-soaked flesh of discarded sloes to make luxury chocolates! Share tips and culinary hints here

Moderators: SloeHoHo, Blackthorn

Elizabeth

I made some chocs

Post by Elizabeth » 19 Dec 2005, 20:16

I have fiddled around a couple of times with sloe chocs but what seemed to work well was the following (sorry no weights and measures).

I put some sloe fruit into cheap sherry (sorry I cannot remember who suggested this) and left it for a month.

Struggled to get the fruit off the stone and put a mass of mangled sloe fruit into a small container.

Drippled just enough of the now nice tasting sherry onto the fruit to make it a BIT moist NOT wet.

Melted white Belgium choc and mashed into the mangled fruit mix well. Allow to start to set a little. My white choc was really thick with fruit.

Make rough balls from the fruit/choc mix and cover with dark Belgium choc, put into fridge to set.

Both my husband and mother thought these wwere absolutely fab. I am going to make some more. No idea how long they can be stored.
Elizabeth

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 02 Jul 2006, 11:01

:shock: I can't believe I missed this recipe :shock:

Now I've got to waiti until December before I can give it a go... :cry:

I like the idea of the white and dark choc combination. White choc on it's own is just a bit too sweet for me.

terroir

Post by terroir » 13 Sep 2006, 15:15

I also keep my sloeberries in closed bottles when th alcohol is drunk.
For occasions, Christmas, Easter, etc. I pinch out the stones and roll them in melted chocolat ( Belgian off course)

I cannot make enough of them.

Leo (Hove, Belgium)
Hello I am Leo From Hove Belgium.
I m a chemist and hobby cook, give occasionally cookinglessons.
Fanatic liquor maker and taster.

Sloe White

Post by Sloe White » 17 Sep 2006, 23:12

Would a cherry stoner help in removing the sloe stones? I'm making sloe gin for the first time this year and a friend recommended using the tipsy sloes for chocolates afterwards. Have to say, I'm really looking forward to this as I make cherry brandy chocolates and rum truffles each year anyway.

deadsloeandstop

Post by deadsloeandstop » 18 Sep 2006, 21:58

Sloe White wrote:Would a cherry stoner help in removing the sloe stones?
I found this to be a bit of a pain last year...the berries where sodden in gin and far too small for a cherry stoner...so it just made a total mess.

It took ages to cut them out though :roll:

Wendy

Post by Wendy » 10 Mar 2007, 20:51

I really like 70% cocoa solids choc, but some of my mates like the softy sweet white chock so i made all my truffles with dark stuff propper quality of course and then dipped a few in white choc for those who prefer it, that way they got the bitter then the sweet and were well happy :D

libspero

Re: I made some chocs

Post by libspero » 22 Dec 2009, 20:51

Elizabeth,

Thanks for a great recipe!

I made your chocolates today and have done a little photo guide to help anyone else who wants to try..

Preparing the sloes: as other have suggested I used the flat of the knife to press squash the sloes making it easy to remove the stone.

Then melting the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water and stirring in the sloes
TIP: Stir in the sloes as quickly as possible to avoid the chocolate curdling and discolouring.

Placing dollops of the sloe/chocolate mixture onto tray (I used a pre-chilled one to help the chocolate set):

Having chilled the white chocolate centres, repeat the melting process with the dark chocolate and cover generously:

And then.. the final result!